Fijivillage
21 February, 2026, 2:30 am
Central - 23°C Clouds
21 February, 2026, 2:30 am Central - 23°C Clouds

UN chief calls on Israel to reverse NGOs ban in Gaza

UN chief calls on Israel to reverse NGOs ban in Gaza

By Alipate Narawa
03/01/2026
Photo: CTV News
UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres called on Friday for Israel to end a ban on humanitarian agencies that provided aid in Gaza, saying he was "deeply concerned" at the development.

Guterres "calls for this measure to be reversed, stressing that international non-governmental organizations are indispensable to life-saving humanitarian work and that the suspension risks undermining the fragile progress made during the ceasefire", his spokesperson Stephane Dujarric said in a statement.

He says this recent action will further exacerbate the humanitarian crisis facing Palestinians.

Israel on Thursday suspended 37 foreign humanitarian organisations from accessing the Gaza Strip after they had refused to share lists of their Palestinian employees with government officials.

The ban includes Doctors Without Borders (MSF), which has 1200 staff members in the Palestinian territories - the majority of whom are in Gaza.

NGOs included in the ban have been ordered to cease their operations by 1 March.

Several NGOS have said the requirements contravene international humanitarian law or endanger their independence.

Israel says the new regulation aims to prevent bodies it accuses of supporting terrorism from operating in the Palestinian territories.

On Thursday, 18 Israel-based left-wing NGOs denounced the decision to ban their international peers, saying "the new registration framework violates core humanitarian principles of independence and neutrality".

A fragile ceasefire has been in place since October, following a deadly war waged by Israel in response to Hamas's unprecedented 7 October, 2023, attack on Israel.

In November, authorities in Gaza said more than 70,000 people had been killed there since the war broke out.

Nearly 80 percent of buildings in Gaza have been destroyed or damaged by the war, according to UN data, leaving infrastructure decimated.

About 1.5 million of Gaza's more than two million residents have lost their homes, said Amjad Al-Shawa, director of the Palestinian NGO Network in Gaza.

Source: AFP
FEATURE NEWS
Drua suffer second bonus point defeat in Sydney
The Swire Shipping Fijian Drua suffered their second bonus-point defeat of the season, going down 36–13 to the Waratahs tonight. The Drua display...
6 hours ago
LATEST NEWS
PM confirms independent investigations into allegations against Saukuru and Gilbert Vakalalabure
Prime Minister, Sitiveni Rabuka confirms that he met Minister for Youth and Sports, Jese Saukuru, and informed him that an independent investigation ...
6 hours ago

Rabuka to meet Sports Minister over Fiji Sports Council concerns
Prime Minister Sitiveni Rabuka confirms he will meet Sports Minister Jese Saukuru today in relation to the Fiji Sports Council issues. The issues ...
7 hours ago

Electricity restored in Central and Western divisions after 132kV circuit fault
Electricity has been fully restored across the Central and Western Divisions following a fault on the 132kV Wailoa–Cunningham Circuit.Energy Fiji ...
9 hours ago

Police yet to respond if they will appeal Vakarisi's suspended sentence
Police are yet to confirm whether they will appeal Jone Vakarisi's three months sentence, suspended for two years.Vakarisi was earlier found guilty ...
9 hours ago

Severe Thunderstorm Warning in force for parts of Viti Levu
A Severe Thunderstorm Warning for Heavy Rain is now in force for the northeastern and interior parts of Viti Levu from Ba through Rakiraki to ...
11 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
15 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
15 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
16 days ago

TOP