Fijivillage
19 February, 2026, 6:22 am
Central - 25°C Clouds
19 February, 2026, 6:22 am Central - 25°C Clouds
NFA

Investigations underway into first property fire of 2026 in Tacirua

Investigations underway into first property fire of 2026 in Tacirua

By Pita Toganivalu
04/01/2026

The National Fire Authority says investigations are underway into the first reported property fire of 2026, which destroyed a three-bedroom house in Tacirua.

The NFA says the fire occurred at Princes Road, opposite the Tacirua Bus Garage, and was reported to the NFA Command Centre yesterday at 3.01pm, via the emergency number 910.

Fire crews from the Suva Fire Station responded immediately, with the first fire truck arriving at the scene at 3.12pm.

Upon arrival, the NFA says firefighters found the three-bedroom lean-to house fully engulfed in flames.

Crews deployed multiple hose deliveries and relied on water supplies from the fire trucks to control the blaze.

The NFA adds that the fire was brought under control and fully extinguished by 4.22pm.

The Authority says the house, with a floor area of approximately 396 square metres, sustained an estimated 99 percent damage.

Fortunately, they say that no injuries were reported, and firefighters were able to prevent the fire from spreading to a neighbouring house.

NFA is urging members of the public to remain vigilant and practice fire safety. 

NFA Acting Chief Executive Officer Joel Israel says the incident serves as an important reminder for the public to take fire safety seriously, particularly during ongoing New Year celebrations and with the new school year approaching.

Israel advises households to never leave cooking unattended, keep flammable items away from heat sources, regularly check electrical wiring, and avoid overloading power points.

He also urges parents to keep matches and lighters out of reach of children and to ensure every household has an emergency fire plan that all members understand.

Israel reveals that last year, a total of 186 property fires were recorded, with houses sustaining more than 90 percent damage.

He says electrical faults were identified as the leading cause, followed by incendiary and suspicious fires.

He adds that fire safety starts with individuals doing the right thing and being vigilant and self-aware.

The NFA continues to remind the public that in the event of a fire emergency, they should call 910 immediately, as quick action can help save lives and property.

FEATURE NEWS
Bainimarama and Qiliho charged with inciting mutiny
Former Prime Minister, Voreqe Bainimarama and former Police Commissioner, Sitiveni Qiliho have been charged with inciting mutiny, and will spend the n...
1 hour ago
LATEST NEWS
Ramadan to start tomorrow
The moon for Ramadan has not been sighted, and the Fiji Muslim League confirms fasting will now begin this tomorrow.Speaking to fijivillage News, ...
1 hour ago

Ramadan to start this Friday
The moon for Ramadan has not been sighted, and the Fiji Muslim League confirms fasting will now begin this Friday. Speaking to fijivillage News, ...
8 hours ago

Six students questioned over Galoa bullying case
Six students have been questioned and released by police following an alleged bullying incident in Galoa Village, Serua. Police confirm that ...
11 hours ago

Waqanika and Bainivalu pleased with discussions; JSC to meet again on 25 March
Following a meeting with the Judicial Services Commission, chaired by Chief Justice Salesi Temo, the counsel of sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara ...
11 hours ago

Bainimarama and Qiliho charged with inciting mutiny
Bainimarama and Qiliho charged with inciting mutinyFormer Prime Minister, Voreqe Bainimarama and former Police Commissioner, Sitiveni Qiliho have ...
12 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
13 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
13 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
14 days ago

TOP