Fijivillage
18 February, 2026, 3:43 am
Central - 24°C Clouds
18 February, 2026, 3:43 am Central - 24°C Clouds

Family says Quakers Hill stabbing was not love triangle, but domestic violence
Anare Vunitabua in custody ahead of next hearing in February 2026

Family says Quakers Hill stabbing was not love triangle, but domestic violence

Anare Vunitabua in custody ahead of next hearing in February 2026

By Navitalai Naivalurua
31/12/2025

The Bulatoko community in northwest Sydney is still in shock following a stabbing incident that occurred at a home on Illabo Street, claiming the lives of two people on Sunday morning. Speaking on behalf of the Bulatoko community, Bex Peterson, the Director of Lewa Strong, a movement for Pasifika Violence Prevention, says one of the things they want to be clear about is that this incident was not a love triangle. She says this was a case of domestic violence and stalking behaviour by the accused. Peterson says the man who also died was not Anaseini Waqavuki’s partner, as previously reported, but an acquaintance of Waqavuki. She highlighted that Waqavuki’s relationship with the accused ended two months ago, as she was experiencing different forms of violence during their dating period. Peterson says Waqavuki was a lively person who could light up a room when she entered, and they miss her so much. Insert: Peterson on domestic violence, 30th Dec 25. NN Meanwhile, 47-year-old Anare Vunitabua has been charged with murder in connection with the pair’s deaths. Vunitabua allegedly killed his former partner, Anaseini Waqavuki, and her associate on Sunday morning. The 30-year-old associate was found on the footpath outside her Illabo Street home in Quakers Hill with stab wounds to his stomach and hands. He was rushed to hospital but died a few hours later. Waqavuki was found dead in her kitchen, having suffered multiple stab wounds. Vunitabua requested to appear before the Bail Division Court yesterday morning, however the magistrate declined to bring him in, as it was not necessary. Vunitabua did not apply for bail and will remain in custody ahead of his next hearing in February 2026 at the Downing Centre Local Court. NSW Police Superintendent Jason Joyce on Sunday indicated the alleged stabbings were domestic violence-related. Superintendent Joyce described the scene as “traumatic” and “confronting” for emergency services and neighbours. A knife has also been recovered from a service station on Richmond Road in Woodcroft.

FEATURE NEWS
Pinehills Airstrip in Nadi not operational - Gavoka
Minister for Tourism and Civil Aviation Viliame Gavoka has issued a clarification regarding the privately owned Skyward Pinehills airstrip near Nadi, ...
11 hours ago
LATEST NEWS
University of Fiji and Jack’s Retail partner to launch new scholarship programme
The University of Fiji has signed a Memorandum of Understanding with Jack’s Retail Pte Ltd to establish a scholarship programme aimed at expanding ...
9 hours ago

Long-time Lami resident calls for unity to tackle growing drug crisis
A long-time Lami resident is calling for stronger collaboration between government, faith-based organisations and community groups to address what ...
10 hours ago

Prison is there to set people straight if found with drugs - Nabouwalu resident
Amelia Dio says if someone is caught with drugs, prison is there to set them straight.Dio shared her views during the consultation on the proposed ...
10 hours ago

FNU honours choir for service through music
About 40 students in the Fiji National University Choir based at the Natabua Campus have been formally recognised for their contribution to campus ...
10 hours ago

Lateef to take plea on meth possession charge on Feb 25th
Former Suva lawyer Shazran Abdul Lateef will take his plea on the 25th of this month where he was allegedly found with methamphetamine last year. He ...
11 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
12 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
12 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
13 days ago

TOP