Fijivillage
18 February, 2026, 9:31 pm
Central - 24°C Clouds
18 February, 2026, 9:31 pm Central - 24°C Clouds

Bainimarama and Qiliho charged with inciting mutiny

Bainimarama and Qiliho charged with inciting mutiny

By Vijay Narayan
18/02/2026

Former Prime Minister, Voreqe Bainimarama and former Police Commissioner, Sitiveni Qiliho have been charged with inciting mutiny, and will spend the night at Totogo Police Station.

They have been taken in handcuffs from the CID Headquarters in Toorak to Totogo Police Station.

Acting Police Commissioner Mesake Waqa confirms the two were questioned in relation to alleged mutiny earlier this afternoon, and will appear in court tomorrow.

fijivillage News was earlier told that this relates to incidents after the 2022 general elections.

In a statement after the 2022 general elections on the 22nd of December, the then Police Commissioner Qiliho had said that a decision had been reached to call in the Republic of Fiji Military Forces to assist Police with the maintenance of security and stability.

Qiliho said this decision was made as more information and reports were received by Police and RFMF of threats made against minority groups who were living in fear following recent political developments.

A meeting was held on that day between the then Prime Minister Voreqe Bainimarama, the then Minister for Defence, National Security and Policing Inia Seruiratu, RFMF Commander and Director General National Security Major General Jone Kalouniwai and Qiliho.

The statement said they came to an agreement for RFMF personnel to assist Police with the maintenance of law and order, amidst growing concerns of racial tension.

Meanwhile in an exclusive interview, Major General Ro Jone Kalouniwai revealed on fijivillage Straight Talk With Vijay Narayan in March 2024 that he was getting calls from certain people after the 2022 general elections to remove certain people from some positions.

Major General Kalouniwai says these were real testing times for the RFMF.

When asked on what is his stand on those detractors trying to derail the RFMF’s standards and principles and influence the RFMF to take illegal actions against the government which could even result in him being targeted, the Commander says he will continue to follow the rule of law.

Stay with us for updates.

FEATURE NEWS
Bainimarama and Qiliho charged with inciting mutiny
Former Prime Minister, Voreqe Bainimarama and former Police Commissioner, Sitiveni Qiliho have been charged with inciting mutiny, and will spend the n...
3 hours ago
LATEST NEWS
Six students questioned over Galoa bullying case
Six students have been questioned and released by police following an alleged bullying incident in Galoa Village, Serua. Police confirm that ...
2 hours ago

Waqanika and Bainivalu pleased with discussions; JSC to meet again on 25 March
Following a meeting with the Judicial Services Commission, chaired by Chief Justice Salesi Temo, the counsel of sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara ...
2 hours ago

Bainimarama and Qiliho charged with inciting mutiny
Bainimarama and Qiliho charged with inciting mutinyFormer Prime Minister, Voreqe Bainimarama and former Police Commissioner, Sitiveni Qiliho have ...
3 hours ago

Ash Wednesday marks a sacred call to spiritual renewal
As the sun shone over the Sacred Heart Cathedral Church, members joined fellow worshippers today to observe Ash Wednesday, marking the beginning of ...
3 hours ago

Father claims police assault turned his world into a nightmare
A father already deeply concerned with worry for his hospitalised wife and his Year 2 son says his world turned into a nightmare when he was ...
3 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
12 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
12 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
13 days ago

TOP