Fijivillage
20 February, 2026, 3:37 am
Central - 23°C Clouds
20 February, 2026, 3:37 am Central - 23°C Clouds

WHO boss unsure he would survive Israeli strike on Yemen's Sana'a airport

WHO boss unsure he would survive Israeli strike on Yemen's Sana'a airport

By abc.net.au
29/12/2024
Sana'a Airport's control tower was damaged in the Israeli air strikes. (Reuters: Khaled Abdullah)

The head of the World Health Organization (WHO) says he was unsure if he was going to survive an air strike on Yemen's main airport carried out during a series of attacks on the Iran-aligned Houthi movement.

Speaking after his ordeal at the Sana'a International Airport on Thursday local time, WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said the explosions that rocked the building were so deafening that his ears were still ringing more than a day later.

Dr Tedros said it quickly became apparent the airport was under attack, describing people "running in disarray" through the site after approximately four blasts, one of them "alarmingly" close to where he was sitting near the departure lounge.

"I was not sure actually I could survive because it was so close, a few metres from where we were," he told Reuters.

"A slight deviation could have resulted in a direct hit."

Dr Tedros said he and his colleagues were stuck at the airport for the next hour or so as what he thought were drones flew overhead, feeding concern they could open fire again.

Among the debris, he and colleagues saw missile fragments, he said.

"There [was] no shelter at all. Nothing," he said.

"So you're just exposed, just waiting for anything to happen."

The Israeli strikes on Yemen came after Houthis repeatedly fired drones and missiles toward Israel in what they describe as acts of solidarity with Palestinians in Gaza.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said afterwards that Israel was "just getting started" with the Houthis.

The Houthi-controlled Saba News Agency said three people died in the strikes on the airport and three were killed in Hodeidah.

Forty others were reportedly injured.

Dr Tedros said he had received no warning Israel could be about to strike the airport.

He was speaking from Jordan where he had helped evacuate a UN colleague seriously injured at the airport for further medical treatment.

The injured man, who worked for the UN Humanitarian Air Service, was now "OK" and in a stable condition, he said.

Dr Tedros travelled to Yemen over Christmas to try to negotiate the release of UN staff and others held there.

He acknowledged he and colleagues knew the trip was risky in light of high tension between Israel and the Houthis.

But such was the window of opportunity to work for the release of the UN personnel that they believed they had to take it, said Dr Tedros, a former Ethiopian foreign minister.

He said talks with Yemeni authorities had gone well and that he saw a chance that the 16 UN staff as well as employees of diplomatic missions and NGO workers held there could be freed.

He declined to engage in recriminations over the attack but said his itinerary had been shared publicly and expressed surprise that civilian infrastructure should have been targeted.

"So a civilian airport should be protected, whether I am in it or not," he said, before observing there was "nothing special" about what he had faced in Yemen.

"One of my colleagues said we narrowly escaped death. I'm just one human being.

"So I feel for those who are facing the same thing every single day. But at least it allowed me to feel the way they feel.

Dr Tedros urged world leaders to work together to end global conflicts.

"I'm worried about our world, where it's heading," he said.

"I have never … as far as I can remember, seen the world really being in such a very dangerous state."

Story By: Reuters

Original story link: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-12-29/who-director-general-unsure-he-would-survive-sanaa-aiport-strike/104768956

FEATURE NEWS
EXCLUSIVE : I go to the FICAC office after hours to support my wife - Vakalalabure
Tevita Vakalalabure, lawyer and husband of Acting FICAC Commissioner, Lavi Rokoika, has today confirmed that he goes to his wife's FICAC office when s...
11 hours ago
LATEST NEWS
Fiji Airways says sexual harassment clause in Employment Bill sets ‘impossible legal standard'
Fiji Airways has warned that the Employment Relations Bill’s requirement for employers to eliminate sexual harassment imposes an unrealistic and ...
10 hours ago

5 out of 7 people charged in Rewa Street and Flagstaff drug bust case plead not guilty
The Chinese, Federated States of Micronesia, and Fijian nationals charged in three separate Rewa Street and Flagstaff drug bust cases took their ...
12 hours ago

Semo bypass to open from midnight tonight
The bypass along the Queen's Highway at Semo Village will be open to the travelling public from midnight tonight.The Fiji Roads Authority (FRA) says ...
13 hours ago

$2.5B Emerald Bay Project advances with 184 residential lots
The $2.5 billion Emerald Bay Development in Nadawa is progressing well with the development of 184 residential lots as part of its first phase, ...
13 hours ago

Lautoka Central Head Boy advocating for drug-free and responsible living
Lautoka Central College Head Boy, Deevansh Singh is urging students to stay away from drugs and take greater responsibility in protecting the ...
13 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
14 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
14 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
15 days ago

TOP