Fijivillage
21 February, 2026, 2:25 am
Central - 23°C Clouds
21 February, 2026, 2:25 am Central - 23°C Clouds

US shoots down Chinese spy balloon over Atlantic

US shoots down Chinese spy balloon over Atlantic

By abc.net.au
05/02/2023
A view of the Chinese spy balloon as it was shot down, seen from Holden Beach in the United States. Photo:Reuters: Allison Joyce)

United States authorities have confirmed the government has shot down a Chinese spy balloon over the Atlantic Ocean.

According to eyewitness reports, the balloon was hit by a US missile off the coast of South Carolina near Surfside Beach.

Vision posted to social media shows what looks like a burst balloon descending downwards.

US President Joe Biden told reporters he ordered the Pentagon on Wednesday to shoot down the suspected Chinese spy balloon as soon as it was safe to do so.

"They decided that the best time to do that [was when] it got over water," Mr Biden said.

The government then ordered a halt to flights around the South Carolina coast due to what it called an undisclosed "national security effort".

The balloon was downed by Air Force fighter aircraft.

"They successfully took it down and I want to compliment our aviators who did it," Mr Biden said.

"We'll have more to report on this a little later."

An operation to recover the debris from US territorial waters ensued.

The development comes after traffic at several airports in North and South Carolina was grounded and airspace off the Carolinas' coast restricted.

The balloon had been flying at about 60,000 feet and was estimated to be about the size of three school buses.

In his first public comments earlier on the affair, Mr Biden told reporters the US was "going to take care of it".

Story By: Barbara Miller

Original Story link:https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-05/us-shoots-down-spy-balloon/101932566

FEATURE NEWS
Drua suffer second bonus point defeat in Sydney
The Swire Shipping Fijian Drua suffered their second bonus-point defeat of the season, going down 36–13 to the Waratahs tonight. The Drua display...
6 hours ago
LATEST NEWS
PM confirms independent investigations into allegations against Saukuru and Gilbert Vakalalabure
Prime Minister, Sitiveni Rabuka confirms that he met Minister for Youth and Sports, Jese Saukuru, and informed him that an independent investigation ...
6 hours ago

Rabuka to meet Sports Minister over Fiji Sports Council concerns
Prime Minister Sitiveni Rabuka confirms he will meet Sports Minister Jese Saukuru today in relation to the Fiji Sports Council issues. The issues ...
7 hours ago

Electricity restored in Central and Western divisions after 132kV circuit fault
Electricity has been fully restored across the Central and Western Divisions following a fault on the 132kV Wailoa–Cunningham Circuit.Energy Fiji ...
9 hours ago

Police yet to respond if they will appeal Vakarisi's suspended sentence
Police are yet to confirm whether they will appeal Jone Vakarisi's three months sentence, suspended for two years.Vakarisi was earlier found guilty ...
9 hours ago

Severe Thunderstorm Warning in force for parts of Viti Levu
A Severe Thunderstorm Warning for Heavy Rain is now in force for the northeastern and interior parts of Viti Levu from Ba through Rakiraki to ...
11 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
15 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
15 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
16 days ago

TOP