Fijivillage
19 February, 2026, 7:58 pm
Central - 25°C Rain
19 February, 2026, 7:58 pm Central - 25°C Rain

Two new COVID-19 cases in NZ

Two new COVID-19 cases in NZ

By Vijay Narayan
16/06/2020
Auckland CBD. [image: TVNZ]

There are two new cases of Covid-19 in New Zealand.

The NZ Ministry of Health confirmed in a statement that the cases are related to the border as a result of recent travel from the United Kingdom

The NZ Herald reports the cases are connected.

It is thought the two new cases were given special exemption to attend a funeral in New Zealand, TVNZ reports.

Director-general of health Dr Ashley Bloomfield will provide further details about the cases at a media stand up at 3pm.

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern warned again yesterday that there would be more COVID cases in the future, but hopefully they would only be at the border.

Sahe said she does not want New Zealanders to believe that the battle is over when it is not.

Ardern has previously said she would not rule out the possibility of moving back up alert levels.

Every traveller who arrives into New Zealand on a flight which departs from another country must go into one of two facilities for an isolation period of 14 days.

If a traveller is symptomatic on arrival, they are placed in a quarantine facility for two weeks. If they are not symptomatic on arrival, they are placed in an approved managed isolation facility for two weeks, according to the ministry's website.

Since June 8, all travellers who arrived in the country were tested for COVID-19 at their respective facilities.

A total of 22 people have died as a result of COVID-19 in New Zealand.

The number of cases of COVID has passed eight million across the globe, with 436,000 deaths. The United States alone has had 2.1 million cases and 116,000 deaths.

[Source: NZ Herald]

FEATURE NEWS
EXCLUSIVE : I go to the FICAC office after hours to support my wife - Vakalalabure
Tevita Vakalalabure, lawyer and husband of Acting FICAC Commissioner, Lavi Rokoika, has today confirmed that he goes to his wife's FICAC office when s...
3 hours ago
LATEST NEWS
Fiji Airways says sexual harassment clause in Employment Bill sets ‘impossible legal standard'
Fiji Airways has warned that the Employment Relations Bill’s requirement for employers to eliminate sexual harassment imposes an unrealistic and ...
3 hours ago

5 out of 7 people charged in Rewa Street and Flagstaff drug bust case plead not guilty
The Chinese, Federated States of Micronesia, and Fijian nationals charged in three separate Rewa Street and Flagstaff drug bust cases took their ...
4 hours ago

Semo bypass to open from midnight tonight
The bypass along the Queen's Highway at Semo Village will be open to the travelling public from midnight tonight.The Fiji Roads Authority (FRA) says ...
5 hours ago

$2.5B Emerald Bay Project advances with 184 residential lots
The $2.5 billion Emerald Bay Development in Nadawa is progressing well with the development of 184 residential lots as part of its first phase, ...
5 hours ago

Lautoka Central Head Boy advocating for drug-free and responsible living
Lautoka Central College Head Boy, Deevansh Singh is urging students to stay away from drugs and take greater responsibility in protecting the ...
6 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
13 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
13 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
14 days ago

TOP