Fijivillage
20 February, 2026, 5:08 pm
Central - 26°C Rain
20 February, 2026, 5:08 pm Central - 26°C Rain

Thousands evacuate as fire nears Canadian cities of Yellowknife and Kelowna

Thousands evacuate as fire nears Canadian cities of Yellowknife and Kelowna

By abc.net.au
19/08/2023
North-west winds combined with minimal rain were complicating efforts to slow the fire.(AP: Darryl Dyck/The Canadian Press)

Thousands of Canadian residents have rushed to evacuate their homes as multiple wildfires raging in the nation's northern territories threaten towns.

The 20,000 residents of Yellowknife have been urged to evacuate by Friday, as Canada's worst recorded fire season showed no signs of easing.

Traffic on the city's one highway was choked as residents drove hundreds of kilometres to safety or waited in long lines for emergency flights.

The fire was within 15 kilometres of the town's northern edge early Friday, with fears strong northern winds could push the flames toward the highway.

North-west winds combined with minimal rain were complicating efforts to slow the fire, which could reach the city limits by the weekend, emergency officials said.

There was a chance of limited rain on Friday, but officials said it likely wouldn't be enough to stop the fire.

"We're heading into a critical couple of days in management of this wildfire," Yellowknife fire information officer Mike Westwick said.

"We're going to be putting everything we have into slowing that progression down. We're going to be throwing aircraft at it and when it's safe, we're going to be throwing people at it."

Meanwhile, a state of emergency was declared in Kelowna early Friday, a city about a four-drive drive from Vancouver.

"Residents under Evacuation Alert are advised to be ready to leave their home at a moment's notice," the City of Kelowna said in a statement.

The evacuation orders were issued after wildfires discovered on Tuesday jumped Lake Okanagan, sparking spot wildfires in the town of 150,000.

"We're all tired of the word unprecedented, yet there is no other way to describe this situation in the Northwest Territories," Premier Caroline Cochrane posted on X, formerly known as Twitter.

Canada has seen a record number of wildfires this year, with more than 5,700 fires burning more than 137,000 square kilometres, according to the Canadian Interagency Forest Fire Centre.

Yellowknife's evacuation was by far the largest this year, said Canadian Association of Fire Chiefs president Ken McMullen.

Ten planes left Yellowknife with 1,500 passengers on Thursday, and 22 more flights will hopefully leave by Friday, Northwest Territories's Department of Municipal and Community Affairs director Jennifer Young said.

Yellowknife Mayor Rebecca Alty said the fire did not advance as much as expected on Thursday, but "it is still coming".

She added that heavy smoke was expected to move in, increasing the urgency of evacuating while it was still possible.

As of Friday morning, more than 1,000 wildfires were burning across the country, over half of them out of control.

'I don't know what I'm coming home to'

Yellowknife resident Angela Canning packed her camper with important documents and family keepsakes as she prepared to leave with her two dogs.

Her husband has stayed behind as an essential worker.

"I'm really anxious and I'm scared. I'm emotional. … I'm in shock," she said.

"I don't know what I'm coming home to or if I'm coming home. There's just so much unknowns here."

Alice Liske left Yellowknife by road with her six kids earlier this week because the air quality was so bad.

She worried about how so many people would flee the city in such a short time.

"Not only that," she said.

"But when we go back, what will be there for us?"

Lisa Mundy whose family evacuated nearby Hay River said their vehicle began to melt as they drove through embers.

"I was obviously scared the tyre was going to break, our car was going to catch on fire and then it went from just embers to full smoke," Ms Mundy told CBC.

She said her son kept saying: "I don't want to die, mommy."

About 6,800 people in eight other communities in the territory have already been forced to evacuate their homes, including the small community of Enterprise, which was largely destroyed.

Officials said everyone made it out alive.

The Yellowknife evacuation order issued Wednesday night applies to the city and the neighbouring First Nations communities of Ndilo and Dettah.

Story By: AP

Original Story link: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-08-19/wildfires-rage-in-canadas-yellowknife-kelowna/102750348

FEATURE NEWS
PM says allegations against Acting FICAC Commissioner have to be investigated
Prime Minister, Sitiveni Rabuka says the allegations of nepotism against the Acting FICAC Commissioner, Lavi Rokoika have to be investigated, and the ...
3 minutes ago
LATEST NEWS
Police yet to respond if they will appeal Vakarisi's suspended sentence
Police are yet to confirm whether they will appeal Jone Vakarisi's three months sentence, suspended for two years.Vakarisi was earlier found guilty ...
1 minute ago

Rabuka to meet Sports Minister over Fiji Sports Council concerns
Prime Minister Sitiveni Rabuka confirms he will meet Sports Minister Jese Saukuru today in relation to the Fiji Sports Council issues.  This ...
2 minutes ago

Parts of the Central and Western Divisions currently without power after 132kV circuit fault
A fault on the 132kV Wailoa–Cunningham Circuit has resulted in multiple power disruptions across the Central and Western Divisions.The Energy Fiji ...
1 hour ago

Severe Thunderstorm Warning in force for parts of Viti Levu
A Severe Thunderstorm Warning for Heavy Rain is now in force for the northeastern and interior parts of Viti Levu from Ba through Rakiraki to ...
1 hour ago

Vuibereta to take plea in High Court over alleged bail breaches
Lui Bale Vuibureta, also known as XKON, is set to take his plea in the Suva High Court on the 6th of next month.Vuibureta appeared before Justice ...
2 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
14 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
14 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
15 days ago

TOP