Fijivillage
20 February, 2026, 8:56 am
Central - 25°C Clouds
20 February, 2026, 8:56 am Central - 25°C Clouds

Taiwan's strongest earthquake in 25 years kills nine, tsunami warnings lifted

Taiwan's strongest earthquake in 25 years kills nine, tsunami warnings lifted

By abc.net.au
04/04/2024
Rescue workers search for survivors in the ruins of a building in New Taipei City.(AFP: Central News Agency)

Authorities say nine people, including three hikers, have been killed as a result of a magnitude-7.5 earthquake that struck the east coast of Taiwan on Wednesday morning.

Dozens of people were being slowly freed after being trapped by debris, rescue workers said, with about 60 of those caught in a tunnel just north of the city of Hualien.

Taiwan’s national fire agency said 64 people were trapped in one rock quarry, and six in another.

Authorities also said they had lost contact with 50 people who had been aboard four minibuses heading to a hotel in the Taroko Gorge national park.

The three hikers were killed by a rockslide in that same national park.

The Taiwanese government said more than 900 people were injured in the quake.

The quake and aftershocks also caused 24 landslides and damage to 35 roads, bridges and tunnels.

Japan and the Philippines have now lifted all tsunami warnings and advisories triggered by the quake.

The earthquake hit at 7:58am (local time) at a depth of 15.5 kilometres, according to Taiwan's Central Weather Administration.

Large earthquake hits Taiwan

Reuters news agency is reporting that Japan's Meteorological Agency has revised up the earthquake from a magnitude 7.5 to 7.7.

Earlier, Reuters reported the earthquake had a magnitude of 7.2.

Meanwhile, the United States Geological Survey were reporting it was a 7.5-magnitude earthquake before downgrading it to a 7.4.

Taiwan's earthquake monitoring agency put it at 7.2.

The quake knocked out power in several parts of Taiwan's capital Taipei, affecting 87,000 homes.

At least 26 buildings have collapsed — more than half in Hualien — with 22 people rescued from one severe case and only one missing, the fire department said.

The Central Weather Agency said it was the most powerful earthquake the island has experienced in 25 years, and numerous powerful aftershocks have been recorded.

Taiwan's air force said six F-16 fighter jets had been slightly damaged at a major base in the city from which jets are often scrambled to see off incursions by China's air force, but it expected the aircraft to return to service very soon.

Foreign Minister Penny Wong shared her condolences on X and said she didn't believe any Australians were harmed.

"DFAT officials in Taipei and Tokyo are working with authorities but at this stage aren't aware of any Australians affected."

'Scared to tears'

Despite the quake striking at the height of the morning rush, the initial panic faded quickly on the island, which is regularly rocked by temblors and prepares residents through drills at schools and notices issued via public media and mobile phones.

“Earthquakes are a common occurrence, and I’ve grown accustomed to them," Taipei resident Hsien-hsuen Keng told AP.

But this was the first time she was "scared to tears" by an earthquake, she said.

”I was awakened by the earthquake.

"I had never felt such intense shaking before.”

She said her fifth-floor apartment shook so hard that "apart from earthquake drills in elementary school, this was the first time I had experienced such a situation".

Tsunami warnings pass

The Japanese Meteorological Agency said the earthquake struck at a very shallow depth, making the impact worse.

The Japan Meteorological Agency said a tsunami wave of 30 centimetres was detected on the coast of Yonaguni island, about 15 minutes after the quake struck.

Smaller waves were measured in Ishigaki and Miyako islands.

Japan sent military aircraft to gather information about the impact around the Okinawa region.

Flights were suspended at Japan's main airport in Okinawa from 9:25am (local time) as a precautionary measure, a transport ministry official stationed at Naha Airport said.

The quake was felt in Fuzhou, Xiamen, Quanzhou and Ningde in China's Fujian province, according to Chinese state media.

Original Story link: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-04-03/tsunami-warning-issued-in-japan-after-earthquake/103661984

FEATURE NEWS
We will investigate any claims of unauthorized aircraft connected to suspicious activity - Police
Police have today confirmed that they will investigate any claims of unauthorized aircraft suspected to be connected to a suspicious activity in Namul...
47 minutes ago
LATEST NEWS
Fiji Cancer Society to host free Health Expo in Lautoka today
Residents in the Western Division will have access to free cancer screenings and essential health services tomorrow as the Fiji Cancer Society will ...
38 minutes ago

Fiji Muslim League calls for reflection and unity this Ramadan
As Muslims begin their fasting today, the Fiji Muslim League extended its warmest wishes for the blessed month to all Muslims in Fiji and abroad.Fiji ...
39 minutes ago

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has been arrested at his eastern England home.The UK's Telegraph newspaper says British police had arrived at the ...
44 minutes ago

Semo bypass road now open to the public
Good news for the people of Fiji as the Semo bypass road along Queen's Highway is now open.The Fiji Roads Authority says the bypass will improve ...
58 minutes ago

Fast start key as Drua look to tame Waratahs
The Fijian Drua cannot afford to allow the New South Wales Waratahs to play to their strengths and must shut them down early while maintaining ...
1 hour ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
14 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
14 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
15 days ago

TOP