Fijivillage
19 February, 2026, 2:24 am
Central - 23°C Clouds
19 February, 2026, 2:24 am Central - 23°C Clouds

Sugarcane farmers to receive bonus payments today

Sugarcane farmers to receive bonus payments today

By Monishka Pratap
21/02/2025
Minister for Multi-Ethnic Affairs and Sugar Industry Charan Jeath Singh

Thousands of sugarcane farmers across Fiji will receive bonus payments today as part of the Government's initiative to support those who have increased cane production, which includes multiple incentive schemes.

While announcing the bonus payments, Minister for Multi-Ethnic Affairs and Sugar Industry Charan Jeath Singh says farmers who have increased cane production compared to previous years will receive an additional $5 per tonne.

He says for instance, if a farmer produced 200 tonnes in the past and increased it to 250 tonnes last year, the additional 50 tonnes will qualify for this extra payment.

Singh says 3,208 sugarcane farmers will receive payments under the Farmer's Incentive Scheme, who will collectively receive $596,701.05.

He said this payment is based on the 119,340.21 tonnes of additional sugarcane produced last season.

Singh says despite criticism from some quarters of the sugar industry, these numbers reflect significant growth and success within the sector.

He further says another support scheme focuses on manual cane harvesting.

He says the government has introduced the financial assistance program, recognising the challenges farmers face in securing manual labourers and cane harvesters.

Singh says under this scheme, 7,786 farmers will receive an additional $3 per tonne for manually harvested cane, amounting to a total payment of $2,171,633.34.

He adds that a total of 723,877.78 tonnes of cane were manually harvested during the 2024 season.

Singh says these financial aids are designed to ease the burden on farmers and enhance their earnings.

He says all eligible farmers will receive payments today directly into their bank accounts.

Singh says farmers are the backbone of Fiji’s sugar industry and the government is committed to sustaining their livelihoods.

The Minister adds that there is an increase in projected sugarcane production for this year.

He says last year’s production was 1.6 million tons and they anticipate reaching 1.8 million tons this year.

He says if this upward trend continues, the goal is to achieve 3.5 million tons in the next five years.

FEATURE NEWS
Bainimarama and Qiliho charged with inciting mutiny
Former Prime Minister, Voreqe Bainimarama and former Police Commissioner, Sitiveni Qiliho have been charged with inciting mutiny, and will spend the n...
8 hours ago
LATEST NEWS
Ramadan to start this Friday
The moon for Ramadan has not been sighted, and the Fiji Muslim League confirms fasting will now begin this Friday. Speaking to fijivillage News, ...
4 hours ago

Ramadan to start this Friday
The moon for Ramadan has not been sighted, and the Fiji Muslim League confirms fasting will now begin this Friday.Speaking to fijivillage News, Mufti ...
5 hours ago

Six students questioned over Galoa bullying case
Six students have been questioned and released by police following an alleged bullying incident in Galoa Village, Serua. Police confirm that ...
7 hours ago

Waqanika and Bainivalu pleased with discussions; JSC to meet again on 25 March
Following a meeting with the Judicial Services Commission, chaired by Chief Justice Salesi Temo, the counsel of sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara ...
7 hours ago

Bainimarama and Qiliho charged with inciting mutiny
Bainimarama and Qiliho charged with inciting mutinyFormer Prime Minister, Voreqe Bainimarama and former Police Commissioner, Sitiveni Qiliho have ...
8 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
13 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
13 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
14 days ago

TOP