Fijivillage
21 February, 2026, 12:49 am
Central - 24°C Clouds
21 February, 2026, 12:49 am Central - 24°C Clouds

Station master arrested over deadly Greece train collision that has killed dozens

Station master arrested over deadly Greece train collision that has killed dozens

By abc.net.au
02/03/2023
A man has been arrested in relation to a deadly train collision between a passenger train and a freight train in Greece.(Reuters: Alexandros Avramidis)

A man has been arrested over the collision of a passenger and a freight train in central Greece that has killed at least 36 people and injured dozens, the government and police sources say.

The 59-year-old station master of a train station in the city of Larissa testified before a prosecutor and was arrested, a government official said.

A police official said the prosecutor laid misdemeanour charges against him.

He has been charged with mass deaths through negligence and causing grievous bodily harm through negligence, the official added.

The man has denied any wrongdoing and has attributed the accident to a possible technical failure, the police official said.

According to a police statement, another two people have been detained for questioning. The cause of the collision was not immediately clear.

Transport Minister Kostas Karamanlis resigned Wednesday, saying he felt it was his "duty" to step down "as a basic indication of respect for the memory of the people who died so unfairly."

After sunrise, rescuers turned to heavy machinery to start moving large pieces of the trains, revealing more bodies and dismembered remains. Officials said the army had been contacted to assist.

Visiting the accident scene, Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis said that the government must help the injured recover and identify the dead.

The trains crashed just before the Vale of Tempe, a gorge that separates the regions of Thessaly and Macedonia.

Survivors said the impact threw several passengers through the windows of train cars.

They said others fought to free themselves after the passenger train buckled, slamming into a field near the gorge, about 380 kilometres north of Athens.

Carriage reached 1,300 degrees Celsius

Authorities are expecting the death toll to climb in the coming days, as temperatures in the first carriage were extremely high, fire brigade spokesman Vassilis Varthakogiannis said on Wednesday.

"It is worth noting that in the specific carriage a fire broke out and temperatures were particularly high, reaching even 1300 degrees Celsius," he told a briefing.

Eight rail employees were among those killed in the crash, including the two drivers of the freight train and the two drivers of the passenger train, according to Greek Railroad Workers Union President Yannis Nitsas.

Greece's firefighting service said some 66 people were hospitalised, including six in intensive care.

Before dawn the next day, rescuers searched through twisted, smoking wreckage for survivors. What appeared to be the third carriage lay atop the clumped remains of the first two.

Multiple cars derailed and at least three burst into flames after the two trains ran into each other at high speed just before midnight on Tuesday.

Many of the approximately 350 people aboard the passenger train were students returning from Greece's raucous Carnival, officials said.

This year was the first time the three-day festival, which precedes Lent, was celebrated in full since the start of the pandemic in 2020.

On Wednesday, the government declared three days of national mourning.

"This is an indescribable tragedy," government spokesman Giannis Oikonomou said, adding that 500 workers from emergency services were at the scene of the crash.

Story by Reuters/AP

Original story link https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-03-01/man-arrested-over-deadly-greece-train-collision/102042190

FEATURE NEWS
Drua suffer second bonus point defeat in Sydney
The Swire Shipping Fijian Drua suffered their second bonus-point defeat of the season, going down 36–13 to the Waratahs tonight. The Drua display...
4 hours ago
LATEST NEWS
PM confirms independent investigations into allegations against Saukuru and Gilbert Vakalalabure
Prime Minister, Sitiveni Rabuka confirms that he met Minister for Youth and Sports, Jese Saukuru, and informed him that an independent investigation ...
5 hours ago

Rabuka to meet Sports Minister over Fiji Sports Council concerns
Prime Minister Sitiveni Rabuka confirms he will meet Sports Minister Jese Saukuru today in relation to the Fiji Sports Council issues. The issues ...
5 hours ago

Electricity restored in Central and Western divisions after 132kV circuit fault
Electricity has been fully restored across the Central and Western Divisions following a fault on the 132kV Wailoa–Cunningham Circuit.Energy Fiji ...
8 hours ago

Police yet to respond if they will appeal Vakarisi's suspended sentence
Police are yet to confirm whether they will appeal Jone Vakarisi's three months sentence, suspended for two years.Vakarisi was earlier found guilty ...
8 hours ago

Severe Thunderstorm Warning in force for parts of Viti Levu
A Severe Thunderstorm Warning for Heavy Rain is now in force for the northeastern and interior parts of Viti Levu from Ba through Rakiraki to ...
9 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
15 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
15 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
15 days ago

TOP