Fijivillage
19 February, 2026, 2:00 am
Central - 24°C Clouds
19 February, 2026, 2:00 am Central - 24°C Clouds

Six dead after tourist submarine sinks off Egypt’s Red Sea Coast

Six dead after tourist submarine sinks off Egypt’s Red Sea Coast

By Marika Rasekaseka
28/03/2025
Photo: BBC

Six people have died after a tourist submarine sank in the Red Sea off the coast of Egypt, a local governor has said.

The governor says among 39 others who were rescued, nine were said to have been injured, while four are in critical condition after the incident near the city of Hurghada.

In total, 45 passengers were thought to have been on board the submarine, called Sindbad, when it sank close to the harbour.

The submarine had been in operation as a tourist submarine for several years.

According to the company running the tourist trips which is the Sindbad Submarines, its vessels take passengers on journeys to explore coral reefs near the Hurghada coastline.

The company says it holds two of the only 14 real recreational submarines in the world, which hold 44 seats for passengers and two seats for pilots. Tours are designed for both adults and children, the company's website says, and allow passengers to travel 25 metres (82 feet) underwater.

Source: BBC

FEATURE NEWS
Bainimarama and Qiliho charged with inciting mutiny
Former Prime Minister, Voreqe Bainimarama and former Police Commissioner, Sitiveni Qiliho have been charged with inciting mutiny, and will spend the n...
7 hours ago
LATEST NEWS
Ramadan to start this Friday
The moon for Ramadan has not been sighted, and the Fiji Muslim League confirms fasting will now begin this Friday. Speaking to fijivillage News, ...
4 hours ago

Ramadan to start this Friday
The moon for Ramadan has not been sighted, and the Fiji Muslim League confirms fasting will now begin this Friday.Speaking to fijivillage News, Mufti ...
4 hours ago

Six students questioned over Galoa bullying case
Six students have been questioned and released by police following an alleged bullying incident in Galoa Village, Serua. Police confirm that ...
7 hours ago

Waqanika and Bainivalu pleased with discussions; JSC to meet again on 25 March
Following a meeting with the Judicial Services Commission, chaired by Chief Justice Salesi Temo, the counsel of sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara ...
7 hours ago

Bainimarama and Qiliho charged with inciting mutiny
Bainimarama and Qiliho charged with inciting mutinyFormer Prime Minister, Voreqe Bainimarama and former Police Commissioner, Sitiveni Qiliho have ...
7 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
13 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
13 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
14 days ago

TOP