Fijivillage
20 February, 2026, 3:37 am
Central - 23°C Clouds
20 February, 2026, 3:37 am Central - 23°C Clouds

Sinking of New Zealand Navy ship Manawanui continues to impact Samoan villages, as community threatens legal action

Sinking of New Zealand Navy ship Manawanui continues to impact Samoan villages, as community threatens legal action

By abc.net.au
05/12/2024
Photo: Tavita Pili says he can smell the fuel from the sunk ship and the tides bring it to shore. (ABC News: Adel Fruean)

Tavita Pili can't see the ship, but he can smell it.

Standing on rocks on the outskirts of his home village of Tafitoala, Samoa, Mr Pili points to the spot where the diesel comes in, at the back of the village, hidden by mangroves.

It's about a kilometre or two from where it happened; what villagers are now calling "the incident".

Thursday marks two months to the day since the Royal New Zealand Navy vessel Manawanui ran aground and sank off the coast of Tafitoala.

And two months on, local villagers say they still have no answers.

"We are worried," he said.

"We can still smell the fuel and even see it come in with the tides."

In an event that stunned the New Zealand public, the sinking of the Manawanui in October — one of only nine ships in New Zealand's navy — was the first the country has lost at sea since World War II.

Last week, the preliminary findings of a military court of inquiry into the sinking were revealed.

It found the crew failed to disengage the autopilot and neglected proper manual control checks, leading to the grounding and sinking.

But on the ground in Samoa, they are less worried about the cause and more concerned about environmental impacts — and when they can fish again.

"It's been [two months] and our village is still waiting," local fisherman Mulipola Lulio told the ABC.

"We are sad because it seems that we are being ignored and no one seems to worry about the sufferings our village is going through."

Villagers say pleas 'unanswered'

The area surrounding the ship remains an exclusion zone, meaning no one is permitted to fish or swim.

In the weeks after the incident, Samoa's government said it believed about 200,000 litres of diesel had spilled from the Manawanui. But the New Zealand government has since questioned that number, labelling the leak "a trickle".

This week, New Zealand's government confirmed to the ABC that "all going well" with weather and sea conditions, the removal of "fuel and other pollutants on board the Manawanui" would begin "this month".

In response to questions from the ABC, it said a "small leak" emerging from an engine room vent had resulted in a "light sheen of commercial diesel, which is evaporating on the surface".

It said there was no evidence of contamination on the shoreline and navy divers and drones were monitoring the situation.

"The main fuel tanks accessible for assessment remain intact, and there is no evidence of any leaks from these," a spokesperson said.

"Our focus is on ensuring any potential environmental impacts are quickly identified and swiftly addressed."

Yet, despite the New Zealand government's assurances, villages in the area are adamant that they can still smell diesel and see it running ashore.

And local residents say despite letters and pleas, their calls for compensation over loss of revenue and impacts on their livelihoods remain unanswered.

Former Samoan MP and local resident Tuia Pu'a Leota said the communities affected were now considering legal action.

"Our voices are soft and our approach in regard to our mission is about being respectful," he said.

"But if things remain the same, we will make a little noise because if we can't make a little noise they won't hear us.

"But if we finish making a little noise and still nothing, then we will look at the laws such as international law if there is anything that relates to our situation."

The Samoan government did not respond to the ABC's requests for comment.

The New Zealand government said it was committed to "doing the right thing" but would not comment on the calls for compensation or if the ship would eventually be removed altogether.

"The next steps in the salvage operation after the fuel has been removed are being worked through with the Samoan government and we are not in a position to comment further on this."

For Tavita Pili it's simple — he just wants to fish again.

"We have no means to get food or income," he said.

"We are deeply saddened … we are sad because it seems that we are being ignored.

"From the beginning there should have been some form of assistance to help us cope with the impacts."

Story by: Samoa reporter Adel Fruean and the Pacific Local Journalism Network's Nick Sas

Original Story link: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-12-05/new-zealand-navy-ship-manawanui-sinking-samoa-legal-action/104677888

FEATURE NEWS
EXCLUSIVE : I go to the FICAC office after hours to support my wife - Vakalalabure
Tevita Vakalalabure, lawyer and husband of Acting FICAC Commissioner, Lavi Rokoika, has today confirmed that he goes to his wife's FICAC office when s...
11 hours ago
LATEST NEWS
Fiji Airways says sexual harassment clause in Employment Bill sets ‘impossible legal standard'
Fiji Airways has warned that the Employment Relations Bill’s requirement for employers to eliminate sexual harassment imposes an unrealistic and ...
10 hours ago

5 out of 7 people charged in Rewa Street and Flagstaff drug bust case plead not guilty
The Chinese, Federated States of Micronesia, and Fijian nationals charged in three separate Rewa Street and Flagstaff drug bust cases took their ...
12 hours ago

Semo bypass to open from midnight tonight
The bypass along the Queen's Highway at Semo Village will be open to the travelling public from midnight tonight.The Fiji Roads Authority (FRA) says ...
13 hours ago

$2.5B Emerald Bay Project advances with 184 residential lots
The $2.5 billion Emerald Bay Development in Nadawa is progressing well with the development of 184 residential lots as part of its first phase, ...
13 hours ago

Lautoka Central Head Boy advocating for drug-free and responsible living
Lautoka Central College Head Boy, Deevansh Singh is urging students to stay away from drugs and take greater responsibility in protecting the ...
13 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
14 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
14 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
15 days ago

TOP