News

Robert Mugabe under house arrest after military takeover

Robert Mugabe under house arrest after military takeover

The African Union says the Zimbabwean military's takeover of power and detention of President Robert Mugabe "seems like a coup".

Its head, Alpha Conde, said the African Union demands an immediate return to constitutional order.

The military denies staging a coup, saying that Mugabe is safe and that it was acting against "criminals" surrounding him.

Their move follows a power struggle over who might replace Mugabe.

His vice‑president, Emmerson Mnangagwa was fired last week, making Mugabe's wife Grace the president's likely successor ‑ but leaving top military officials feeling sidelined.

93-year-old Mugabe has dominated the country's political scene since it gained independence from the UK in 1980.

Responding to the developments, Conde, who is also Guinea's president, said Zimbabwean soldiers "had obviously attempted to take power" and African Union had "serious concern" at the situation and "reiterates its full support to the country's legal institutions".

After days of tension and rumour, soldiers seized the state broadcaster ZBC late on Monday.

A Zimbabwean army officer, Major General Sibusiso Moyo, went on air to say the military was targeting "criminals" around President Mugabe.

He also insisted that it was not a military takeover.

Source: BBC

Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
LIVE SCORES
Arsenal vs Burnley 7:00AM
Bournemouth vs Man City 6:30AM
Chelsea vs Spurs 7:15AM
Bula FC 0–1 South Island United Full Time
Bula FC 0–2 Auckland FC Full Time
Bula FC 0–2 South Melbourne FC Full Time
Chiefs vs Crusaders 7:05PM
Brumbies vs Waratahs 9:35PM
Moana Pasifika vs Reds 4:35PM
Raiders vs Dolphins 9:50PM
Bulldogs vs Storm 10:00PM
Dragons vs Warriors 7:30PM
vs
Fiji vs USA 8:00PM
Fiji vs Australia 12:51AM