Fijivillage
18 February, 2026, 7:48 am
Central - 24°C Clouds
18 February, 2026, 7:48 am Central - 24°C Clouds

Rising COVID-19 cases hit Papua New Guinea's stretched health system

Rising COVID-19 cases hit Papua New Guinea's stretched health system

By Dhanjay Deo
13/03/2021
Port Moresby General Hospital has set up an additional temporary COVID-19 ward at a sports stadium.[image: ABC News]

Papua New Guinea has been plunged into a COVID-19 crisis.

Port Moresby's under-resourced hospital is dealing with a growing number of COVID-19 patients, including pregnant women with fewer staff as doctors and nurses become infected.

Additional temporary beds for coronavirus patients are filling up fast with seriously ill patients and health workers are being particularly affected, prompting fears that services may be crippled.

Earlier this week, Cairns Hospital in North Queensland declared a code yellow emergency after six fly-in-fly-out workers from Papua New Guinea tested positive in hotel quarantine.

According to ABC, vaccines are on their way and PNG's government has imposed some strict new social distancing restrictions, including a ban on gatherings with more than 50 people.

One of PNG's most prominent doctors has called for more dramatic action, including cancelling the state funeral of the country's founding prime minister Sir Michael Somare. However, the state funeral took place yesterday.

Some are even calling for Australia to step up its assistance.

PNG recorded 376 new cases between March 1 and 9, according to data from PNG's COVID-19 National Pandemic Response.

But with testing rates low, the actual number of cases is thought to be much, much higher.

St Johns Ambulance PNG chief executive Matt Cannon said the total number of coronavirus cases for March was forecast to top 800, which would leave an already resource-challenged health system with a real problem.

Cannon said all of Port Moresby's COVID-19 care beds were expected to be occupied.

St Johns was working with the local health authorities to open a second overflow care centre for COVID-19 patients.

The PNG government has signed off on the regulatory approval needed for the COVAX facility to bring in the AstraZeneca vaccine, but the first batch was not expected in the country until the end of the month or the start of April.

Planning is still in process for how that vaccine's going to be rolled out in PNG including who is going to be giving out those vaccines.

Papua New Guinea's Nurses Association president Frederick Kebai said about 100 nurses had tested positive for coronavirus so far and called on the government to pay for more staff.

He says if more health workers are infected, that means more people are going to die.

He says they have lost 10 midwives and doctors from the maternity staff in the last one week.

Kebai says they can't run a maternity service where 50 women a day are coming to seek pregnancy, labour and delivery care without staff.

He said a full lockdown was not feasible in Port Moresby and unlikely to be effective but the government should enact a state of emergency.

[Source: ABC]

FEATURE NEWS
Pinehills Airstrip in Nadi not operational - Gavoka
Minister for Tourism and Civil Aviation Viliame Gavoka has issued a clarification regarding the privately owned Skyward Pinehills airstrip near Nadi, ...
15 hours ago
LATEST NEWS
Tudravu directs investigation into assault claims involving Nausori Police
The Internal Affairs Department within the Fiji Police Force has been directed by Commissioner of Police Rusiate Tudravu to investigate allegations ...
21 minutes ago

Lent begins today as Catholics observe Ash Wednesday
Catholics around Fiji are marking the beginning of Lent today with Ash Wednesday, the first day of the 40-day season of reflection and preparation ...
46 minutes ago

Alleged threat incident in Tubou leaves teachers concerned for safety
Teachers teaching at Ratu Finau Secondary School in Lau are worried about their safety following an incident on Saturday where two men who were ...
49 minutes ago

FCCC warns of impersonation scam promising unrealistic quick profits
People are being warned to be vigilant a recent scam identified by a concerned consumer, shows that scammers are impersonating business pages in an ...
49 minutes ago

Sports Council Board meet to discuss serious concerns
The Fiji Sports Council Board hold a meeting to discuss various allegations against the former Executive Chairman and current CEO of the Council, ...
2 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
12 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
12 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
13 days ago

TOP