Fijivillage
20 February, 2026, 11:45 am
Central - 29°C Rain
20 February, 2026, 11:45 am Central - 29°C Rain

Queensland's Jayce Bowers to take award-winning hairstyle to Mulletfest

Queensland's Jayce Bowers to take award-winning hairstyle to Mulletfest

By abc.net.au
01/12/2023
Jayce Bowers started growing his spectacular mullet after his mum bet him $50 that he wouldn't.(Supplied: Sam Bowers)

Every morning Jayce Bowers uses his favourite brush on his luscious, ginger mullet.

"I've got a special barber that I can trust with my hair, and a specific shampoo and conditioner," he said.

The 12 year-old's locks were judged to be best in show at a central Queensland competition earlier this year Jayce will now see if his 'do can cut it at the national level.

After four years of growing, his mane is 40 centimetres long.

Jayce, who lives in Gladstone, is entering the under-13 competition at Mulletfest.

The event, born in regional New South Wales, attracts competitors from across the globe and entrants from the United Kingdom and the United States will be there to vie for mullet crowns this Saturday.

"Mulletfest has shown that it's more than a haircut," founder Laura Johnson said.

"We're really breaking that stigma of 'nothing more than a bogan.'"

'How grubby is it?' Ms Johnson said the event at Kurri Kurri in the Hunter Valley began annually since its inception in 2018.

"My father's pub … was struggling and the town itself had lost a generational job provider and we really needed to create a tourism injection," she said.

Ms Johnson said young and old would compete at Mulletfest this weekend.

In the past, the event has attracted as many as 8,000 people.

Ms Johnson said points were assigned based on the cut, condition and category.

"So, if it's a grubby mullet, how grubby is it?" she said.

"If it's an everyday mullet, is it an adaptable style you can wear every day? Can you dress it up to go out, can you tie it back for work?"

Ms Johnson said award-winning hairdressers and aficionados with lived experience of sporting mullets would be on the judging panel.

Ms Johnson said mullets were popular in the 1980s, but had fallen out of fashion by the time she began her hairdressing apprenticeship in the '90s.

Nonetheless, she received specific training to help clients grow out their mullets.

"They are so back and so fashion-forward at the moment," Ms Johnson said.

'Out of his shell' Sam Bowers, Jayce's mum, said her boy began cultivating his long locks as part of a wager.

"I bet him $50 that he wouldn't grow a mullet … then once it started growing, he started to get a bit of recognition for it and it just kept going from there," she said.

"As a mum it's great as well because he's easy to pick out in a crowd."

It has also become a conversation starter for her son, who Ms Bowers described as shy.

"He gets lots of comments — we'll be at random places and people just ask to have photos taken with him, they're always pointing and looking," she said.

"It's great to see him come out of his shell a little and get up on stage with people and make friends."

Ms Bower said after Mulletfest was over Jayce planned to cut and donate his hair to a charity that makes wigs for cancer sufferers.

She said Jayce had already raised more than $3,300 for Kids with Cancer.

"I might have a bit of a tear when he cuts it off," Ms Bowers said.

"It's been part of him for so long."

Story by Jasmine Hines

Original story link https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-12-01/queensland-boy-sets-sights-on-mulletfest-glory/103174386

FEATURE NEWS
Fiji removed from EU tax blacklist after years of reform
Fiji has been removed from the European Union’s blacklist of non-cooperative jurisdictions for tax purposes, marking what the Fiji Revenue and Custo...
18 minutes ago
LATEST NEWS
Nepani Homes progressing, families to move in by mid-year - Magnus
Works at the Nepani Subdivision are advancing, and families allocated homes through the recent barrel draw are expected to begin moving in by ...
10 minutes ago

UK High Commissioner launches “No Learner Left Behind” initiative in Fiji
British High Commissioner to Fiji, Kanbar Hossein-Bor, hosted the inaugural stakeholder meeting for the “No Learner Left Behind” initiative, in ...
13 minutes ago

Fiji removed from EU tax blacklist after years of reform
Fiji has been removed from the European Union’s blacklist of non-cooperative jurisdictions for tax purposes, marking what the Fiji Revenue and ...
18 minutes ago

Andrew released after arrest on suspicion of misconduct in public office
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has been released following his arrest on suspicion of misconduct in public office.Thames Valley Police earlier said they ...
2 hours ago

At 27, Reapi becomes Dux after being turned away when in Year 13
After being turned away from her Year 13 external exam because her family could not afford $570 in school fees, Reapi Tabuaniviti finally returned to ...
3 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
14 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
14 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
15 days ago

TOP