Fijivillage
22 February, 2026, 2:24 am
Central - 24°C Clouds
22 February, 2026, 2:24 am Central - 24°C Clouds

Queen says race issues 'concerning' after Harry and Meghan tell-all interview

Queen says race issues 'concerning' after Harry and Meghan tell-all interview

By Vijay Narayan
10/03/2021
The Queen says allegations of racism brought forward by Meghan and Harry will be handled

The Queen has broken her silence over Prince Harry and Meghan's tell-all interview, saying allegations of racism were "concerning" and they would be handled by the royal family "privately".

In the statement, released by Buckingham Palace on behalf of the Queen, it is said "recollections may vary" about issues raised in the bombshell interview but they would be "taken very seriously".

It is the first statement released by the palace in the two days since the Oprah interview aired, with the Duke and Duchess of Sussex speaking openly about racism and mental health issues they experienced as working members of the royal family.

The statement says the whole family is saddened to learn the full extent of how challenging the last few years have been for Harry and Meghan.

It says Harry, Meghan and Archie will always be much loved family members.

Pressure had been mounting on the palace to respond after Meghan said during the interview that an unnamed member of the royal family had asked Harry "how dark" the skin of their unborn child would be.

Winfrey later said that Harry had clarified to her that neither the Queen nor Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh, had made the comments.

The Queen's statement made no specific reference to claims Meghan had sought help for her mental health problems, including having suicidal thoughts, only to be turned away by "one of the most senior" people in the royal institution.

The interview was watched by 12.4 million people in the UK and more than 17 million on the US, where it first aired on Sunday night on the CBS network.

Last month Harry and Meghan informed the Queen they would no longer be working members of the royal family, which in turn led to them being stripped of their royal patronages.

The decision came 11 months into a 12-month review agreed to by the Duke and Duchess with Buckingham Palace about their future roles, after announcing they intended to take a "step back" from the family and be part-time royals in January 2020.

In the wide-ranging interview Prince Harry also said he had been cut off from his father, the Prince of Wales, both financially and emotionally during their protracted departure from their roles.

He said Prince Charles even stopped taking his calls at one point.

Harry said he feels really let down because he's been through something similar.

During a visit to a vaccination centre earlier today, Prince Charles remained silent when questioned about the interview before he was ushered quickly out of the building.

[Source : abc.net.au]

FEATURE NEWS
FICAC to keep Charters in custody overnight
There is still no official word from FICAC on why Fijian national, Charlie Charters has been taken custody. fijivillage News understands Charters w...
6 hours ago
LATEST NEWS
Scabies cases increasing among children due to climate and close contact-Dr Tuicakau
Scabies is spreading widely among children as it thrives in Fiji’s tropical climate and due to close contact among students at home and in ...
9 hours ago

On what legal basis is Charters being detained by FICAC - Naidu
Prominent lawyer, Richard Naidu has questioned on what legal basis could Fijian national, Charlie Charters be detained by FICAC.Naidu says the FICAC ...
9 hours ago

Young girls inspired to explore science and technology to shape Fiji’s future
High school students from Suva were inspired and empowered at the University of the South Pacific’s Global Women’s Breakfast 2026 event ...
9 hours ago

On what legal basis is Charters being detained by FICAC - Naidu
Prominent lawyer, Richard Naidu has questioned on what legal basis could Fijian national, Charlie Charters be detained by FICAC. Naidu says the ...
10 hours ago

BSP reports 12.9 percent profit increase
The Bank of the South Pacific Financial Group Limited has delivered a strong financial performance for the year ended 31st December 2025, recording a ...
12 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
16 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
16 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
17 days ago

TOP