Fijivillage
20 February, 2026, 8:00 pm
Central - 25°C Rain
20 February, 2026, 8:00 pm Central - 25°C Rain

Prince Harry, Meghan pursued by paparazzi in what they call a 'near catastrophic car chase'

Prince Harry, Meghan pursued by paparazzi in what they call a 'near catastrophic car chase'

By abc.net.au
18/05/2023
'Recklesss and irresponsible': NYC mayor describes car chase involving Harry and Meghan

Prince Harry and his wife, Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, were trailed in their car by photographers as they left a New York City charity event on Tuesday night, local time, briefly taking refuge at a police station before being whisked away in a yellow cab.

After an award ceremony in Manhattan, Harry and Meghan's vehicle was followed by photographers in a scene that their office said "resulted in multiple near collisions involving other drivers on the road, pedestrians and two NYPD officers".

The couple's office called the incident a "near catastrophic car chase".

"While being a public figure comes with a level of interest from the public, it should never come at the cost of anyone's safety," the couple's office said in a statement.

Police intervened and, assisting the couple's private security detail, led them to a police station about 18 blocks from the ballroom, a law enforcement official told the AP.

The couple spent several minutes at the police station, waiting for the situation to de-escalate.

Once it was safe, they left in a taxi, according to the official, who was not authorised to speak publicly about the matter and did so on condition of anonymity.

The pursuit and resultant media frenzy evoked memories of the 1997 car chase through Paris that ended up with the death of Prince Harry's mother, Diana, the Princess of Wales — though in this case, police said, no one was hurt.

However, when their spokesperson said that they had been dangerously pursued by paparazzi in a "near catastrophic car chase" through the streets of Manhattan, it set off alarms at several levels.

The account led New York City Mayor Eric Adams to condemn the paparazzi chasing them as "reckless and irresponsible".

"You shouldn't be speeding anywhere, but this is a densely-populated city," he said.

"I don't think there's many of us who don't recall how his mum died, and it would be horrific to lose innocent bystanders."

Later, police said the pursuit was relatively short and led to no injuries, collisions or arrests, and warranted no further investigation.

The cab driver who drove them from the police station said he instantly recognised his passengers and that paparazzi "were following us the whole time", although he said wouldn't call it a chase.

"They had this look on their faces," the driver, Sukhcharn Singh, said.

"All of a sudden paparazzi came out and started taking pictures."

Police issued a short statement confirming an incident on Tuesday night, local time, involving photographers and the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, who were accompanied by Meghan's mother, Doria Ragland.

The award presentation was Meghan’s first public appearance since she skipped the coronation of her father-in-law King Charles III earlier this month in order to stay at home in California for her son Prince Archie’s fourth birthday. Harry attended the coronation.

Fury at the press

Harry, the younger son of King Charles III, and the former actress Meghan Markle married at Windsor Castle in 2018. They stepped down as working royals in 2020, citing what they described as the unbearable intrusions and racist attitudes of the British media.

Harry's fury at the media has been building for years. He blames an overly aggressive press for the death of his mother, and also accuses the media of hounding Meghan.

"My deepest fear is history repeating itself,'' Harry said in a 2019 statement when Meghan filed suit against the publisher of the Mail on Sunday.

Harry has made it his mission to reform the press and is suing three British tabloid publishers over alleged phone hacking and other unlawful snooping.

In 2021, Meghan won an invasion of privacy case in 2021 against the publisher of the Daily Mail.

Security for Harry and Meghan has been an issue since the British government stripped them of protection when they moved to California in 2020 and it figures in three of his legal cases against the government and tabloid press.

The pursuit in New York occurred the same day a lawyer for Harry argued in a London court that he should be able to challenge a government decision denying him the right to pay police for his own security in the UK.

Harry has argued his safety was "compromised due to the absence of police protection" during a short visit to the UK in July 2021, when his car was chased by photographers as he left a charity event.

The couple have said they funded their own security after former president Donald Trump said the US government would not pay to protect them.

FEATURE NEWS
PM says allegations against Acting FICAC Commissioner have to be investigated
Prime Minister, Sitiveni Rabuka says the allegations of nepotism against the Acting FICAC Commissioner, Lavi Rokoika have to be investigated, and the ...
3 hours ago
LATEST NEWS
Rabuka to meet Sports Minister over Fiji Sports Council concerns
Prime Minister Sitiveni Rabuka confirms he will meet Sports Minister Jese Saukuru today in relation to the Fiji Sports Council issues. The issues ...
23 minutes ago

Electricity restored in Central and Western divisions after 132kV circuit fault
Electricity has been fully restored across the Central and Western Divisions following a fault on the 132kV Wailoa–Cunningham Circuit.Energy Fiji ...
3 hours ago

Police yet to respond if they will appeal Vakarisi's suspended sentence
Police are yet to confirm whether they will appeal Jone Vakarisi's three months sentence, suspended for two years.Vakarisi was earlier found guilty ...
3 hours ago

Severe Thunderstorm Warning in force for parts of Viti Levu
A Severe Thunderstorm Warning for Heavy Rain is now in force for the northeastern and interior parts of Viti Levu from Ba through Rakiraki to ...
4 hours ago

Vuibereta to take plea in High Court over alleged bail breaches
Lui Bale Vuibureta, also known as XKON, is set to take his plea in the Suva High Court on the 6th of next month.Vuibureta appeared before Justice ...
5 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
14 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
14 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
15 days ago

TOP