Fijivillage
20 February, 2026, 12:40 am
Central - 23°C Clouds
20 February, 2026, 12:40 am Central - 23°C Clouds

Police search for alleged gunman Dezi Freeman at Porepunkah enters a sixth day

Police search for alleged gunman Dezi Freeman at Porepunkah enters a sixth day

By abc.net.au
31/08/2025
The manhunt for Dezi Freeman is now in its sixth day in the region around Porepunkah, in Victoria's north-east. (ABC News)

Police are yet to reveal whether a man arrested in Victoria's north-east is being investigated in connection to the search for alleged gunman Dezi Freeman.

The major search operation for the 56-year-old self-described sovereign citizen is entering a sixth day.

Police allege Mr Freeman shot three police officers who were executing a warrant at his Porepunkah property, killing Detective Leading Senior Constable Neal Thompson and Senior Constable Vadim De Waart, and injuring a third officer.

On Saturday, Victoria Police revealed they were questioning a 61-year-old man who had been arrested in Bright, just outside Porepunkah.

Police alleged they found weapons and cannabis during a search of his home.

They would not say whether the man was associated with Mr Freeman.

"This line of enquiry will form part of the interview conducted by police," a Victoria Police spokesperson said. She also declined to say why police converged on Clemens Lane in Myrtleford on Saturday.

The area is about 30 kilometres by road from the Porepunkah property where the shootings happened.

Around 450 police officers from Victoria have been involved in the search.

They have been joined by colleagues from New South Wales, the ACT and South Australia as they continue to scour dense, rocky bushland around the Porepunkah region, including on the slopes of Mount Buffalo.

On Saturday, police announced they were moving their search headquarters from a winery they had taken over since Tuesday to a government facility in the town of Ovens, about 10 kilometres away.

"The new site is a fit for purpose facility and will best support Victoria Police's operational activity moving forward," a statement said.

"We would like to reassure the community that police are not leaving the area." Locals have been told they would continue to see police activity in and around the Porepunkah and Alpine communities.

Official emergency advice continued to describe Dezi Freeman as being armed and dangerous, and urges travel in the area be "restricted to essential activities only".

Emergency texts were being sent to mobile phones in towns across the region, urging locals to remain vigilant.

Despite the messaging and pleas from senior police to re-think weekend plans, the town of Bright was busy on Saturday with skiers and snowboarders heading to Mount Hotham and Falls Creek.

Mount Buffalo National Park remained closed.

The Victorian Alps received a major dump of snow during a severe weather system that passed across the region on Friday night into Saturday morning.

The weather across the search ground has included destructive winds, heavy rain, hail and snow on Mount Buffalo.

Businesses in the town of Porepunkah have re-opened after being shut for most of the week to keep the community safe.

But the streets remained quiet on what would usually be a bustling weekend full of travellers.

Café owner Jacob Hanna has appealed for state government support to help businesses that have lost income.

"You can sustain it for a little period but eventually we need customers," he said.

Police have vowed to remain at Porepunkah until Mr Freeman was apprehended.

But resources could be stretched on Sunday with large protests planned for Melbourne.

Original Story Link: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2025-08-31/police-search-for-dezi-freeman-enters-sixth-day-porepunkah/105716332?utm_campaign=abc_news_web&utm_content=link&utm_medium=content_shared&utm_source=abc_news_web

FEATURE NEWS
EXCLUSIVE : I go to the FICAC office after hours to support my wife - Vakalalabure
Tevita Vakalalabure, lawyer and husband of Acting FICAC Commissioner, Lavi Rokoika, has today confirmed that he goes to his wife's FICAC office when s...
8 hours ago
LATEST NEWS
Fiji Airways says sexual harassment clause in Employment Bill sets ‘impossible legal standard'
Fiji Airways has warned that the Employment Relations Bill’s requirement for employers to eliminate sexual harassment imposes an unrealistic and ...
8 hours ago

5 out of 7 people charged in Rewa Street and Flagstaff drug bust case plead not guilty
The Chinese, Federated States of Micronesia, and Fijian nationals charged in three separate Rewa Street and Flagstaff drug bust cases took their ...
9 hours ago

Semo bypass to open from midnight tonight
The bypass along the Queen's Highway at Semo Village will be open to the travelling public from midnight tonight.The Fiji Roads Authority (FRA) says ...
10 hours ago

$2.5B Emerald Bay Project advances with 184 residential lots
The $2.5 billion Emerald Bay Development in Nadawa is progressing well with the development of 184 residential lots as part of its first phase, ...
10 hours ago

Lautoka Central Head Boy advocating for drug-free and responsible living
Lautoka Central College Head Boy, Deevansh Singh is urging students to stay away from drugs and take greater responsibility in protecting the ...
10 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
13 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
14 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
14 days ago

TOP