Fijivillage
20 February, 2026, 12:59 pm
Central - 30°C Rain
20 February, 2026, 12:59 pm Central - 30°C Rain

Poison control centres in the US sees spike In calls after Trump's disinfectant comments

Poison control centres in the US sees spike In calls after Trump's disinfectant comments

By Naveel Krishant
27/04/2020
US President Donald Trump [image: BBC]

Poison control centres in the United States saw a spike in calls regarding questions about disinfectant use after US President Donald Trump on Friday suggested that injecting disinfectant might help treat the Covid-19.

According to data from the New York City government on Sunday, the Poison Control Centre, a subagency of the city's Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, received 30 calls questioning the use of disinfectant, within 18 hours following Trump's remarks.

The number was twice as much as that of last year.

According to the data, nine of the calls were about Lysol, a brand of disinfectant, 10 were in regards to bleach, and 11 were about household cleaners.

The centre warned residents on its website to not ingest or inject Lysol or other disinfectant as a treatment for Covid-19. They say household disinfectants are poisonous and can cause serious harm or even death if swallowed or injected.

A disinfectant company also said in a statement that under no circumstances should its disinfectant products be administered into the human body through injection, ingestion, or any other route.

[source: Associated Press]

FEATURE NEWS
Fiji removed from EU tax blacklist after years of reform
Fiji has been removed from the European Union’s blacklist of non-cooperative jurisdictions for tax purposes, marking what the Fiji Revenue and Custo...
1 hour ago
LATEST NEWS
Naitasiri murder accused remains in custody pending psychiatric evaluation
The 43-year-old man who allegedly killed 16-year-old Salote Sikiti with a cane knife in Naqali Village, Naitasiri remains remanded in custody after ...
2 minutes ago

Nepani Homes progressing, families to move in by mid-year - Magnus
Works at the Nepani Subdivision are advancing, and families allocated homes through the recent barrel draw are expected to begin moving in by ...
3 minutes ago

UK High Commissioner launches “No Learner Left Behind” initiative in Fiji
British High Commissioner to Fiji, Kanbar Hossein-Bor, hosted the inaugural stakeholder meeting for the “No Learner Left Behind” initiative, in ...
57 minutes ago

Instead of drugs people should dedicate themselves to spiritual development - Dr Maharaj
General Practitioner Dr Rajesh Maharaj says instead of indulging in drugs, alcohol, kava and smoking, people should dedicate themselves to spiritual ...
59 minutes ago

Fiji removed from EU tax blacklist after years of reform
Fiji has been removed from the European Union’s blacklist of non-cooperative jurisdictions for tax purposes, marking what the Fiji Revenue and ...
1 hour ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
14 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
14 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
15 days ago

TOP