Fijivillage
22 February, 2026, 8:53 pm
Central - 26°C Rain
22 February, 2026, 8:53 pm Central - 26°C Rain

Pfizer, BioNTech vaccine neutralises Omicron with three shots

Pfizer, BioNTech vaccine neutralises Omicron with three shots

By Vijay Narayan
09/12/2021

BioNTech and Pfizer say a three-shot course of their COVID-19 vaccine is able to neutralise the new Omicron variant in a laboratory test, an early signal that booster shots could be key to protection against infection from the newly identified variant.

The German and U.S. companies say two doses of their vaccine resulted in significantly lower neutralising antibodies but could still be protective against severe disease.

Reuters reports that BioNTech Chief Medical Officer Ozlem Tuereci said at a press conference that the first line of defence, with two doses of vaccination, might be compromised and three doses of vaccination are required to restore protection.

The companies also said they could deliver an upgraded vaccine targeted specifically at the Omicron variant in March 2022 if one is needed.

BioNTech and Pfizer are the first manufacturers of a COVID vaccine to issue an official update on the efficacy of their shot against Omicron.

In samples of blood taken around a month after the third shot the Omicron variant was neutralised about as effectively as two doses neutralised the original virus identified in China.

The Omicron variant, first detected in southern Africa and Hong Kong last month, has triggered global alarm about another surge in infections. Cases have already been reported from Japan to the United States and across Europe.

BioNTech CEO Ugur Sahin suggested that countries might consider shortening the time period between second and third doses of the vaccine to combat the new variant.

He cited recent moves by countries including Britain to bring the third shot forward to three months after the second shot, from six months previously.

The World Health Organization classified Omicron on Nov. 26 as a "variant of concern" but said there was no evidence to support the need for new vaccines specifically designed to tackle the variant and its mutations.

Nevertheless, the companies said they would continue efforts to bring an Omicron-specific COVID-19 vaccine to market. Work started on November 25th.

They said their planned production of 4 billion doses of the Comirnaty vaccine in 2022 was not expected to change if an adapted vaccine was required. BioNTech said that even if an adapted vaccine was available in March, it would not be broadly available for some time, noting that perhaps 25 to 75 million doses of the new vaccine would be ready at first.

Pfizer scientist Kena Swanson said the company is considering also testing two doses of an Omicron-specific vaccine in currently unvaccinated people.

There is no significant data yet on how vaccines from Moderna (MRNA.O), Johnson & Johnson (JNJ.N) and other drugmakers hold up against the new variant but they are expected to release their own data within weeks.

FEATURE NEWS
FICAC grossly misusing it's powers against Charters - Fatiaki
Fijian national, Charlie Charters lawyer, Seforan Fatiaki has written a stern letter to FICAC today, saying FICAC is grossly misusing the powers given...
3 hours ago
LATEST NEWS
Modi calls for human-centric AI at Global Summit in New Delhi
Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi has called for Artificial Intelligence to remain human-centric and focused on global good while addressing world ...
4 hours ago

Over 51 pets desexed at Nadovu Park as animals Fiji and partners step up animal welfare efforts
Over 51 desexing surgeries were carried out yesterday at Nadovu Park in Lautoka with support from Animals Fiji, the Lautoka City Council, and the ...
4 hours ago

Teen dies from suspected Leptospirosis as Health Ministry urges caution
Members of the public are advised by the Ministry of Health and Medical Services to take immediate precautions against leptospirosis following a ...
6 hours ago

FMA raises serious concerns regarding Charters' arrest and Sports Council
The Fiji Media Association is deeply concerned with today’s developments involving Charlie Charters, who was earlier stopped at Nadi International ...
6 hours ago

Charters still in FICAC custody
There is still no official word from FICAC on why Fijian national, Charlie Charters has been takencustody.fijivillage News understands Charters will ...
7 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Charlie Charters held at Nadi Airport because of a FICAC flag on his file
Fijian national, Charlie Charters is being held at immigration at Nadi International Airport because of a FICAC flag on his file.fijivillage News has ...
7 hours ago

Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
16 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
16 days ago

TOP