Fijivillage
20 February, 2026, 1:04 pm
Central - 30°C Rain
20 February, 2026, 1:04 pm Central - 30°C Rain

Perth bushfire rages through northern suburbs with homes, sheds lost in Tapping

Perth bushfire rages through northern suburbs with homes, sheds lost in Tapping

By abc.net.au
23/11/2023
A shed destroyed by fire on a commercial property.(ABC News)

A massive bushfire raging through several northern Perth suburbs overnight which forced residents to flee their homes remains out of control this morning, with authorities confirming property losses amid ongoing extreme temperatures and high wind.

DFES incident controller Murray McBride told a residents meeting on Thursday morning several homes had been lost, although he was unable to confirm exact numbers.

Firefighters faced dangerous and unpredictable conditions overnight as they battled the blaze that bore down on several suburbs including Wanneroo, Mariginiup and Banksia Grove.

fire

An emergency warning remains in place for parts of those suburbs, as well as Jandabup, Tapping, Melaleuca, and Sinagra, with residents east of Pinjar Road in Tapping warned they are in immediate danger, as the fire danger escalates.

Aerial vision shows a number of houses and sheds in the area badly damaged, and farm machinery burned.

"Shelter in your home in a room away from the fire front and make sure you can easily escape," is the official advice.

Those to the west of Pinjar Road are instructed to leave now if it's safe.

More than 100 firefighters are battling the blaze that started yesterday in Mariginiup.

Mr McBride said it was still too dangerous to let people back to their homes.

"At the moment we just can't let people in. It's really dangerous for the firies there as well."

Tapping resident Alan told ABC Radio at least three houses had been lost in his area.

"I'm probably 700m from Pinjar Road which is where the fire was," he said.

"I'm not sure if we lost any houses in between, but we came under a fairly heavy ember attack around 10.30pm—10.45pm.

"There were a couple of people who kicked the doors in notifying people. Thankfully there was nobody home, So no injury, no loss of life or anything like that. Just property damage."

About 1,500 hectares of land is estimated to have been burned so far.

DFES chief superintendent David Gill said rapid damage assessment teams were working to confirm the extent of property damage.

"Working in heatwave conditions, firefighters ... [were] working incredibly hard to arrest the forward rate of spread of this fire,' he told Perth ABC Radio

"Really difficult conditions, very challenging conditions for firefighters to operate."

Mr Gill said the fire had slowed down and crews were working to strengthen containment line around the 20-kilometre perimeter of the blaze.

More than 120 volunteer and career fire fighters and staff from other emergency services are at the scene.

Extreme fire conditions are forecast for the area today, with the temperature expected to hit 40 degrees.

A heatwave warning has also been issued, as Perth faces its fourth consecutive day of temperatures above 35 degrees.

More than 1,000 properties in the bushfire area are without power, with at least 150 people spending the night at an evacuation centre set up at the Gumblossom Community Centre in Quinns Rock.

An animal evacuation centre has also been set up at Wanneroo Showgrounds, and the State Equestrian Centre in Brigadoon is also taking in horses and ponies from properties hit by the fire.

Story by Andrea Mayes, Garrett MundyNicolas PerpitchJames Carmody, and Cason Ho

Origional Story: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-11-23/bushfire-wanneroo-tapping-homes-razed-banksia-grove/103139376

Source: abc.net.au


FEATURE NEWS
Fiji removed from EU tax blacklist after years of reform
Fiji has been removed from the European Union’s blacklist of non-cooperative jurisdictions for tax purposes, marking what the Fiji Revenue and Custo...
1 hour ago
LATEST NEWS
Naitasiri murder accused remains in custody pending psychiatric evaluation
The 43-year-old man who allegedly killed 16-year-old Salote Sikiti with a cane knife in Naqali Village, Naitasiri remains remanded in custody after ...
7 minutes ago

Nepani Homes progressing, families to move in by mid-year - Magnus
Works at the Nepani Subdivision are advancing, and families allocated homes through the recent barrel draw are expected to begin moving in by ...
9 minutes ago

UK High Commissioner launches “No Learner Left Behind” initiative in Fiji
British High Commissioner to Fiji, Kanbar Hossein-Bor, hosted the inaugural stakeholder meeting for the “No Learner Left Behind” initiative, in ...
1 hour ago

Instead of drugs people should dedicate themselves to spiritual development - Dr Maharaj
General Practitioner Dr Rajesh Maharaj says instead of indulging in drugs, alcohol, kava and smoking, people should dedicate themselves to spiritual ...
1 hour ago

Fiji removed from EU tax blacklist after years of reform
Fiji has been removed from the European Union’s blacklist of non-cooperative jurisdictions for tax purposes, marking what the Fiji Revenue and ...
1 hour ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
14 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
14 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
15 days ago

TOP