Fijivillage
20 February, 2026, 7:30 am
Central - 25°C Clouds
20 February, 2026, 7:30 am Central - 25°C Clouds

P&O Cruises to retire its brand in Australia, fold operations into Carnival Cruise Line

P&O Cruises to retire its brand in Australia, fold operations into Carnival Cruise Line

By abc.net.au
05/06/2024
P&O Cruises Australia has announced it will cease operating after more than 90 years.(AAP Image: Dean Lewins)

P&O Cruises Australia has announced its fleet will soon be sailing to its final berth, ceasing its operations in 2025 after more than 90 years on the water.

The Australian travel brand will fold its operations into parent company Carnival Cruise Line from March 2025.

P&O's Pacific Encounter and Pacific Adventure ships and workforce will be rebranded and transferred to the Carnival Cruise Line fleet, while the Pacific Explorer, previously known as the Dawn Princess, will be retired.

Passengers set to cruise in 2024 will not be affected, while customers who had cruises booked on the Pacific Explorer after March 2, 2025 will have the option of a refund or credit for Carnival with extra onboard spending money.

It is the end of an era for the popular brand, which first sailed from Sydney on December 23, 1932, on a seven-day itinerary calling at Brisbane and Norfolk Island.

The company's first permanent ship in Australia, the Fairstar — heavily promoted as "the fun ship" — was part of the fleet for nine years until 1997.

P&O Cruises Australia issued its surprise notice to customers on Tuesday.

"As a result, all itineraries on Pacific Explorer scheduled to sail after 2nd March 2025 are being cancelled," it said.

"If you are booked on one of these itineraries you will be contacted by guest services in the coming days with refund details.

"We are all immensely proud of P&O Cruises Australia's 90-year heritage of dedicated operations in the region, and Carnival Cruise Line are honoured to carry forward its storied legacy and continue to deliver the same onboard experiences and itineraries."

Crews on the Pacific Explorer were expected to be redeployed to other ships, but a small number of workers in the P&O Australia head office would lose their jobs, a spokeswoman said.

Acting P&O Cruises Australia and Carnival Australia lead Peter Little will be retained under the new title of country manager.

Carnival Cruise chief executive Josh Weinstein hailed P&O Cruises as a storied brand with an amazing team and lauded its accomplishments in Australia and the broader region.

"However, given the strategic reality of the South Pacific's small population and significantly higher operating and regulatory costs, we're adjusting our approach," he said.

The Carnival brand will see its fleet boosted by eight ships after also acquiring vessels from sister line Costa Cruises and ordering new ships to come into operation in 2027 and 2028.

Under the changes, Carnival will continue to be the largest cruise operator in the region with 19 ships, representing almost 60 per cent of the market.

The P&O ships will have technology upgrades, including an ordering app and loyalty program, but will retain the "familiar feel and much of the same experiences" for Australian guests, Carnival Cruise Line president Christine Duffy said.

Story By: AAP/ABC

Original Story link: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-06-04/p-o-cruises-retiring-brand-cancels-bookings-carnival-cruise/103934258

FEATURE NEWS
EXCLUSIVE : I go to the FICAC office after hours to support my wife - Vakalalabure
Tevita Vakalalabure, lawyer and husband of Acting FICAC Commissioner, Lavi Rokoika, has today confirmed that he goes to his wife's FICAC office when s...
14 hours ago
LATEST NEWS
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has been arrested at his eastern England home.The UK's Telegraph newspaper says British police had arrived at the ...
55 minutes ago

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has been arrested at his eastern England home.The UK's Telegraph newspaper says British police had arrived at the ...
1 hour ago

Fiji Airways says sexual harassment clause in Employment Bill sets ‘impossible legal standard'
Fiji Airways has warned that the Employment Relations Bill’s requirement for employers to eliminate sexual harassment imposes an unrealistic and ...
14 hours ago

5 out of 7 people charged in Rewa Street and Flagstaff drug bust case plead not guilty
The Chinese, Federated States of Micronesia, and Fijian nationals charged in three separate Rewa Street and Flagstaff drug bust cases took their ...
16 hours ago

Semo bypass to open from midnight tonight
The bypass along the Queen's Highway at Semo Village will be open to the travelling public from midnight tonight.The Fiji Roads Authority (FRA) says ...
16 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
14 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
14 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
15 days ago

TOP