Fijivillage
16 February, 2026, 10:18 pm
Central - 24°C Rain
16 February, 2026, 10:18 pm Central - 24°C Rain

Over 21,000 families in Nadi and Lautoka assisted through the government’s $90 cash assistance

Over 21,000 families in Nadi and Lautoka assisted through the government’s $90 cash assistance

By Semi Turaga
09/05/2021
Acting Permanent Secretary for Economy Shiri Gounder. [image: file]

21,657 families in the Nadi and Lautoka containment areas have been assisted with the $90 government assistance.

The government has topped up their MPAiSA and MyCash accounts.

A government statement says this is a total payout of around $2 million.

The Acting Permanent Secretary for Economy, Shiri Gounder confirmed that a total of 27,313 applications have been assessed so far from the Nadi and Lautoka containment areas since applications opened on Thursday.

He says out of this, 5,656 applications did not qualify as these applicants were recipients of the unemployment assistance already being provided by the government in partnership with FNPF.

A total of $286 million has been paid out under this initiative, with $158 million coming directly from the Fijian Government and $128 million withdrawn from FNPF member General Accounts.

Applications for the Nadi and Lautoka containment areas closed at 5pm yesterday.

FEATURE NEWS
Mysterious airstrip in Nadi is not a priority for Govt - Gavoka
The airstrip at Mulomulo in Nawaka, Nadi, is currently not a government priority.This has been confirmed by the Minister for Civil Aviation, Viliame G...
5 hours ago
LATEST NEWS
40 Yaqara Pastoral workers on strike from today over unpaid COLA
40 Yaqara Pastoral Company Ltd workers are on strike from today as their demands of Cost of Living Adjustment payment has not been met.The National ...
5 hours ago

Mysterious airstrip in Nadi is not a priority for Govt - Gavoka
The airstrip at Mulomulo in Nawaka, Nadi, is currently not a government priority.This has been confirmed by the Minister for Civil Aviation, Viliame ...
5 hours ago

Former PAP Women's President to file complaint to Fijian Elections Office
Former People’s Alliance Women’s President Titilia Saurara says she will file a complaint with the Fijian Elections Office regarding what she ...
5 hours ago

Elections must unite, not divide - President
As our nation moves towards a general election, elections must be a contest of ideas and vision, never a cause for division. This has ...
5 hours ago

Ratu Naiqama urges landowners to align development with national priorities
The Government is calling for unity among landowners, institutions, and communities to ensure land and natural resources are used productively, ...
6 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
10 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
11 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
11 days ago

TOP