Fijivillage
20 February, 2026, 5:10 pm
Central - 26°C Rain
20 February, 2026, 5:10 pm Central - 26°C Rain

One dead, 14 injured after man rams car onto sidewalk, stabs pedestrians in South Korea

One dead, 14 injured after man rams car onto sidewalk, stabs pedestrians in South Korea

By abc.net.au
04/08/2023
Police say four were injured by a car driven by the suspect. (Reuters: Yonhap )

South Korean officials say one person has died and at least 14 others have been injured after a man drove a car onto a sidewalk before stabbing people inside a shopping mall in a town south of Seoul.

Police and firefighting officials said by telephone on Friday that a man aged in his 60s had died, at least nine people were stabbed and five others were injured by a vehicle in the city of Seongnam.

Two people were in critical conditions.

Police said Thursday's assailant was arrested after apparently attacking people randomly.

Media reports described him as a man in his 20s with a delivery job who was suffering from some mental health issues.

Witnesses told Yonhap News Agency the man wore black clothes and sunglasses while wielding a knife around 50 to 60 centimetres long.

At the taped-off scene, police stood guard and blood stains could be seen on the floor as forensic units examined the halls of the AK Plaza.

A white Kia hatchback with a broken front window and ruptured front tyre could be seen on a sidewalk near the Seohyeon subway station.

Panicked witnesses hide in fridge

A witness named Hwang Hee-woon told YTN television he heard screaming from the first floor of the mall.

"Customers and shop workers were gathering on the rails of the second-floor near the escalator to see what was happening below," he said.

"Suddenly, someone told us the person who committed the crime was coming up to the second floor, so we ran away in panic."

He hid inside a refrigerated storage room with some mall employees.

During a meeting on Thursday, General Yoon Hee-keun of the National Police Agency, described the attack as "virtually an act of terrorism".

Officials discussed increasing night-time patrols in leisure districts and other crowded areas and strengthening security camera surveillance.

Last month, a knife-wielding man stabbed at least four pedestrians on a street in the capital.

General Yoon Hee-keun warned South Koreans to be on guard for such attacks and urged officials to be vigilant and look out for copycat crimes.

AP/Reuters

Original article link: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-08-03/multiple-injured-in-south-korea-knife-car-attack-/102686776

FEATURE NEWS
PM says allegations against Acting FICAC Commissioner have to be investigated
Prime Minister, Sitiveni Rabuka says the allegations of nepotism against the Acting FICAC Commissioner, Lavi Rokoika have to be investigated, and the ...
2 minutes ago
LATEST NEWS
Electricity restored in Central and Western divisions after 132kV circuit fault
Electricity has been fully restored across the Central and Western Divisions following a fault on the 132kV Wailoa–Cunningham Circuit.Energy Fiji ...
1 minute ago

Rabuka to meet Sports Minister over Fiji Sports Council concerns
Prime Minister Sitiveni Rabuka confirms he will meet Sports Minister Jese Saukuru today in relation to the Fiji Sports Council issues.  This ...
2 minutes ago

Police yet to respond if they will appeal Vakarisi's suspended sentence
Police are yet to confirm whether they will appeal Jone Vakarisi's three months sentence, suspended for two years.Vakarisi was earlier found guilty ...
3 minutes ago

Severe Thunderstorm Warning in force for parts of Viti Levu
A Severe Thunderstorm Warning for Heavy Rain is now in force for the northeastern and interior parts of Viti Levu from Ba through Rakiraki to ...
1 hour ago

Vuibereta to take plea in High Court over alleged bail breaches
Lui Bale Vuibureta, also known as XKON, is set to take his plea in the Suva High Court on the 6th of next month.Vuibureta appeared before Justice ...
2 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
14 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
14 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
15 days ago

TOP