Fijivillage
20 February, 2026, 3:50 pm
Central - 29°C Rain
20 February, 2026, 3:50 pm Central - 29°C Rain

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un unveils new tactical nuclear attack submarine

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un unveils new tactical nuclear attack submarine

By abc.net.au
08/09/2023
North Korean leader Kim Jong Un attends the launch of the new nuclear attack submarine. (Reuters: KCNA news agency )

North Korea has unveiled a new tactical nuclear attack submarine, according to state media.

On Wednesday, North Korean leader Kim Jong Un attended the submarine-launching ceremony, news agency KCNA said.

It will be assigned to the fleet that patrols the waters between the Korean peninsula and Japan.

Mr Kim said arming the navy with nuclear weapons was an urgent task and promised to transfer more nuclear underwater and surface vessels to the naval forces, news agency KCNA said.

"The submarine-launching ceremony heralded the beginning of a new chapter for bolstering up the naval force of the DPRK," the media outlet said.

DPRK stands for North Korea's official name, the Democratic People's Republic of Korea.

Sub-sm

Submarine No. 841— named Hero Kim Kun Ok after a North Korean historical figure — will perform its combat mission as "one of core underwater offensive means of the naval force" of North Korea, Mr Kim said.

It was not immediately clear what missiles the new submarine would be armed with.

North Korea has test fired a number of long-range submarine-launched ballistic missiles (SLBMs), as well as short-range SLBMs and cruise missiles that can be fired from submarines.

It is also unclear whether North Korea has fully developed the miniaturised nuclear warheads needed to fit on such missiles.

Analysts say that perfecting smaller warheads would most likely be a key goal if the North resumes nuclear testing.

Senior research fellow at the Missile Defense Advocacy Alliance Tal Inbar said the submarine's huge sail appeared to have room for both ballistic and cruise missiles.

"It won't be long before we will see it launch missiles," he said in a post on X, formerly known as Twitter.

Story by Reuters

Original story link https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-09-08/north-korea-launches-tactical-attack-submarine/102830388

FEATURE NEWS
Instead of drugs people should dedicate themselves to spiritual development - Dr Maharaj
General Practitioner Dr Rajesh Maharaj says instead of indulging in drugs, alcohol, kava and smoking, people should dedicate themselves to spiritual ...
4 hours ago
LATEST NEWS
Parts of the Central and Western Divisions currently without power after 132kV circuit fault
A fault on the 132kV Wailoa–Cunningham Circuit has resulted in multiple power disruptions across the Central and Western Divisions.The Energy Fiji ...
1 minute ago

Severe Thunderstorm Warning in force for parts of Viti Levu
A Severe Thunderstorm Warning for Heavy Rain is now in force for the northeastern and interior parts of Viti Levu from Ba through Rakiraki to ...
9 minutes ago

Vuibereta to take plea in High Court over alleged bail breaches
Lui Bale Vuibureta, also known as XKON, is set to take his plea in the Suva High Court on the 6th of next month.Vuibureta appeared before Justice ...
21 minutes ago

2 officers and two civilians remain in custody on meth related offences
Two police officers and two civilians who were charged with methamphetamine-related offences allegedly committed last year have been further remanded ...
22 minutes ago

Man allegedly assaulted by Shia LaBeouf in New Orleans wants to see hate crime charges
One of the men whom Shia LaBeouf allegedly battered and insulted with a homophobic slur on Mardi Gras morning in New Orleans on Tuesday, leading to ...
2 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
14 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
14 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
15 days ago

TOP