Fijivillage
21 February, 2026, 2:27 am
Central - 23°C Clouds
21 February, 2026, 2:27 am Central - 23°C Clouds

Nick Kyrgios has assault charge dismissed despite guilty plea

Nick Kyrgios has assault charge dismissed despite guilty plea

By abc.net.au
03/02/2023
The court heard the argument started when Ms Passari prevented Kyrgios from closing the door of an Uber.(Instagram)

A charge of common assault against tennis star Nick Kyrgios has been dismissed despite his earlier plea of guilty in the ACT Magistrates Court.

Kyrgios had been charged with assaulting his former girlfriend Chiara Passari in 2021, when he pushed her out of the way of an Uber door as she was trying to prevent him from leaving an argument.

Kyrgios argued the charge should be dismissed on the grounds of his mental health, but that was withdrawn when the court found he is not currently suffering a significant depressive illness.

He then pleaded guilty to one count of common assault in relation to the incident.

But later in the court hearing, Magistrate Beth Campbell dismissed the charge, deciding no conviction should be recorded.

Altercation began with argument outside an Uber

Documents tendered to the court revealed on January, 10, 2021, Kyrgios and Ms Passari were standing outside the Canberra apartment block where Ms Passari lived.

The pair then got into a loud argument, which led Kyrgios to order an Uber.

Once the Uber arrived, Kyrgios got into the front passenger seat but Ms Passari stood between the passenger side and the door to prevent it being closed.

The documents stated the argument continued as Ms Passari asked him to get out of the car.

The court heard the Uber driver would not leave until the door was closed and Kyrgios then told Ms Passari:

"Leave me the f*** alone, I'm going home and don't want to be with you," he said.

"Just f***ing piss off."

Kyrgios became frustrated, telling the driver "dude leave".

The court heard he then pushed Ms Passari with sufficient force so she fell down, landing on her right side.

Ms Passari suffered a sore shoulder and grazed knee.

The court heard the pair met up at a Canberra cafe two days later, where Kyrgios said he was remorseful.

Ms Passari recorded that conversation without his knowledge.

The couple stayed together for some months but eventually broke up.

Ms Passari reported the incident to ACT police in December 2021, 10 months after it occurred.

During today's hearing, the court heard from Kyrgios's psychologist Sam Borenstein who said the tennis star previously had quite serious episodes of depression in which he had "relied on alcohol and drugs" and had "periods of being impulsive and reckless in his behaviours".

He described Mr Kyrgios as currently having "mild symptoms of depression" but not a "major" depressive illness.

Mr Kyrgios's lawyer, Michael Kukulies-Smith, then withdrew his bid to have the charge dismissed on mental health grounds and his client pleaded guilty.

Kyrgios has been off the tennis court for almost a month, and arrived at the court assisted by a pair of crutches.

He pulled out of this year's Australian Open on January 15 due to an ongoing knee injury, for which he has since had surgery.

Article by Elizabeth Byrne and Peter Lusted

Read original article here: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-03/tennis-star-nick-kyrgios-pleads-guilty-to-common-assault/101927952

FEATURE NEWS
Drua suffer second bonus point defeat in Sydney
The Swire Shipping Fijian Drua suffered their second bonus-point defeat of the season, going down 36–13 to the Waratahs tonight. The Drua display...
6 hours ago
LATEST NEWS
PM confirms independent investigations into allegations against Saukuru and Gilbert Vakalalabure
Prime Minister, Sitiveni Rabuka confirms that he met Minister for Youth and Sports, Jese Saukuru, and informed him that an independent investigation ...
6 hours ago

Rabuka to meet Sports Minister over Fiji Sports Council concerns
Prime Minister Sitiveni Rabuka confirms he will meet Sports Minister Jese Saukuru today in relation to the Fiji Sports Council issues. The issues ...
7 hours ago

Electricity restored in Central and Western divisions after 132kV circuit fault
Electricity has been fully restored across the Central and Western Divisions following a fault on the 132kV Wailoa–Cunningham Circuit.Energy Fiji ...
9 hours ago

Police yet to respond if they will appeal Vakarisi's suspended sentence
Police are yet to confirm whether they will appeal Jone Vakarisi's three months sentence, suspended for two years.Vakarisi was earlier found guilty ...
9 hours ago

Severe Thunderstorm Warning in force for parts of Viti Levu
A Severe Thunderstorm Warning for Heavy Rain is now in force for the northeastern and interior parts of Viti Levu from Ba through Rakiraki to ...
11 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
15 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
15 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
16 days ago

TOP