Fijivillage
21 February, 2026, 4:26 pm
Central - 27°C Rain
21 February, 2026, 4:26 pm Central - 27°C Rain

Nadi Airport to close from tomorrow while passenger travel to the outer islands will cease from Sunday March 29th

Nadi Airport to close from tomorrow while passenger travel to the outer islands will cease from Sunday March 29th

By Vijay Narayan
25/03/2020
Nadi Airport

Prime Minister, Voreqe Bainimarama says they are working overtime to avoid the nightmare scenario in countries like Italy.

Bainimarama says the government is quickly acquiring new Intensive Care beds and ventilators, and taking other measures that will be announced by Attorney-General and Minister for Economy, Aiyaz Sayed-Khaiyum in tomorrow’s supplementary budget address at 7.30pm.

He says the fact is, if what happened in Italy happens in Fiji, our healthcare system would buckle.

Bainimarama says the grim reality is that in Fiji, the number of deaths for this many cases would likely be much, much higher. He says Fiji is at war with the coronavirus.

Bainimarama says we cannot see our enemy but we must act as if the enemy is in our midst at all times.

He says you can join the fight by washing your hands with soap and water, practicing physical distancing, two metres distance is safest and following any and every directive given to you by authorities.

The Prime Minister says Fiji now has two cases imported from overseas.

From tomorrow, Nadi Airport will be officially shut down to all scheduled passenger travel. There are currently three flights inbound to Fiji carrying Fijians returning home from overseas, these passengers will all be required to self-quarantine for 14 days upon arrival.

Bainimarama says they are seriously concerned about the virus ever reaching any of our outer island communities.

From this Sunday, the 29th of March, all passenger travel to the outer islands will cease. Shipping lines for freight will continue with increased bulk but decreased frequency to ensure food and other essential goods are supplied across the islands.

The ban on gatherings of 20 or more people remains in effect. If you have a death in the family, you can proceed with a burial, so long as you limit any gatherings to fewer than 20 people.

FEATURE NEWS
Charters arrested by FICAC and is now being brought to Suva
Fijian national, Charlie Charters has been arrested by FICAC and is now being brought to Suva. Charters had earlier contacted us saying that he is...
12 minutes ago
LATEST NEWS
BSP reports 12.9 percent profit increase
The Bank of the South Pacific Financial Group Limited has delivered a strong financial performance for the year ended 31st December 2025, recording a ...
2 hours ago

Charlie Charters held at Nadi Airport because of a FICAC flag on his file
Fijian national, Charlie Charters is being held at immigration at Nadi International Airport because of a FICAC flag on his file.fijivillage News has ...
2 hours ago

Trump brings in new 10 percent tariff as Supreme Court rejects his global import taxes
US President Donald Trump has imposed a new 10 percent global tariff to replace ones struck down by the Supreme Court, calling the ruling 'terrible' ...
4 hours ago

Charan Jeath Singh urges financial discipline and strategic reform at Fiji Meat Industry Board
The Minister for Public Enterprises, Charan Jeath Singh is calling for stronger financial discipline and strategic reform at the Fiji Meat Industry ...
4 hours ago

Community spirit shines at International Mother Language Day event
The entire community gathered at My Suva Park to celebrate International Mother Language Day, highlighting Fiji’s rich cultural and linguistic ...
4 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
15 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
15 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
16 days ago

TOP