Fijivillage
19 February, 2026, 5:33 pm
Central - 27°C Rain
19 February, 2026, 5:33 pm Central - 27°C Rain

NFP demands that deduction of the premium for insurance bundle for cane growers to be refunded by this Friday
We have the mandate to make decisions on behalf of the growers – Sugar Cane Growers Council

NFP demands that deduction of the premium for insurance bundle for cane growers to be refunded by this Friday

We have the mandate to make decisions on behalf of the growers – Sugar Cane Growers Council

By Dhanjay Deo
03/11/2021
National Federation Party Leader Professor Biman Prasad and CEO of the Sugar Cane Growers Council Vimal Dutt

National Federation Party Leader Professor Biman Prasad says the deduction of premium for the insurance bundle for cane growers from the final payment for the 2020 crop without the growers’ consent is fraud however the CEO of the Sugar Cane Growers Council, Vimal Dutt says the Council has the mandate to make decisions on behalf of the growers especially when it is to do with their welfare.

Professor Prasad says they are demanding that all growers be refunded by this Friday, failing which they intend to report the matter to police.

The NFP Leader says unknown to growers, 37 cents per tonne has been deducted for the bundle insurance scheme. He says it is not an authorised deduction permitted under the Master Award.

He says the yearly premium for the $10,000 cover is $52 per year or $1 per week but all growers who have harvested over 141 tonnes of cane last year have had more than $52 deducted from their proceeds.

The NFP Leader has further questioned whether the Sugar Cane Growers Council authorised the deductions adding that an unelected Council does not have powers to do this. Professor Prasad has also questioned why the deduction is not reflected on the statements provided to growers.

He adds this is alleged fraud and like a racket where unsuspecting growers without their knowledge and agreement have overpaid for something that they do not know about.

The CEO of the Sugar Cane Growers Council, Vimal Dutt had earlier said the $600,000 deduction for the Growers Micro Bundle Insurance Scheme is a deduction from the growers total share of proceeds and not from the unit price of around 12,000 growers.

Dutt further says this is the only material methodology for deductions now as there is no alternative solution to it.

Dutt says in time to come they may explore external funding that would probably ease the situation. He says the Sugar Cane Growers Fund paid the premium for the Growers Micro Bundle Insurance Scheme from 2017 to 2020 and the Government also paid the premiums for 6 months.

He further says this means it becomes the responsibility of the growers to pay the premiums for the 2021 season. According to Dutt, 360 growers have benefitted from the claims with a value of $1.1 million which means this money has reached the growers and their families.

The CEO of the Fiji Sugar Corporation, Bhan Pratap Singh had also said earlier that all deductions have been made in accordance with the provisions contained in the Master Award.

We have contacted Dutt and Singh for a response on NFP’s statement. They are yet to respond.

FEATURE NEWS
EXCLUSIVE : I go to the FICAC office after hours to support my wife - Vakalalabure
Tevita Vakalalabure, lawyer and husband of Acting FICAC Commissioner, Lavi Rokoika, has today confirmed that he goes to his wife's FICAC office when s...
26 minutes ago
LATEST NEWS
Fiji Airways says sexual harassment clause in Employment Bill sets ‘impossible legal standard'
Fiji Airways has warned that the Employment Relations Bill’s requirement for employers to eliminate sexual harassment imposes an unrealistic and ...
25 minutes ago

5 out of 7 people charged in Rewa Street and Flagstaff drug bust case plead not guilty
The Chinese, Federated States of Micronesia, and Fijian nationals charged in three separate Rewa Street and Flagstaff drug bust cases took their ...
2 hours ago

Semo bypass to open from midnight tonight
The bypass along the Queen's Highway at Semo Village will be open to the travelling public from midnight tonight.The Fiji Roads Authority (FRA) says ...
3 hours ago

$2.5B Emerald Bay Project advances with 184 residential lots
The $2.5 billion Emerald Bay Development in Nadawa is progressing well with the development of 184 residential lots as part of its first phase, ...
3 hours ago

Lautoka Central Head Boy advocating for drug-free and responsible living
Lautoka Central College Head Boy, Deevansh Singh is urging students to stay away from drugs and take greater responsibility in protecting the ...
3 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
13 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
13 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
14 days ago

TOP