Fijivillage
19 February, 2026, 6:59 pm
Central - 25°C Rain
19 February, 2026, 6:59 pm Central - 25°C Rain

NFA warns fire starters including cane farmers as 408 bush and grass fire incidents recorded since January
33 bush-fire since Saturday

NFA warns fire starters including cane farmers as 408 bush and grass fire incidents recorded since January

33 bush-fire since Saturday

By Rashika Kumar
05/10/2022
[Photo: NFA]

People who carelessly light fires that lead to major grass and bush fires, including cane farmers who are burning their sugar cane fields have been warned by the National Fire Authority as 408 bush and grass fire incidents have been recorded since January to yesterday.

211 bush-fire incidents were recorded last month alone and 33 since Saturday.

NFA says Lautoka Fire Station attended to a major bush fire incident at Tuvu, Lautoka yesterday where the crew received a call at 12.45pm about the incident and the team responded immediately.

They say upon arrival at the scene, the fire team saw a large area of bush was on fire threatening the nearby properties and the team fought the fire and managed to extinguish an Energy Fiji Limited power post that was on fire while a vacant house was also destroyed.

NFA CEO Puamau Sowane says these bush fires have been damaging a lot of EFL power lines which has contributed to continuous power outage around Western Division lately.

The NFA says they are concerned, considering the current dry and windy conditions in the Western Division could easily spread fire and threat to nearby properties.

Sowane says with the current weather conditions in the Western Division people have been warned to take precautionary measures as they continue to receive numerous calls on grass and bush fires every day.

The Western Division also recorded 100 cane fires and 53 rubbish fires from January to date.

The CEO says majority of these fire incidents have been a result of careless burning, hot and windy conditions where in some instances, dry grass self-ignites once it reaches its ignition point.

Sowane says while these bushfires pose threat to properties and lives, they also impose considerable pressure on their resources.

He says should there be any major fire in the central business centres, NFA could be possibly affected in resource distribution.

The CEO says in just the first 3 days of October, the estimated cost of NFA attending to these grass and bush fire is $16,000.

He adds people’s negligence towards fire safety and a “no-care” attitude is a major challenge for the NFA right now.

FEATURE NEWS
EXCLUSIVE : I go to the FICAC office after hours to support my wife - Vakalalabure
Tevita Vakalalabure, lawyer and husband of Acting FICAC Commissioner, Lavi Rokoika, has today confirmed that he goes to his wife's FICAC office when s...
2 hours ago
LATEST NEWS
Fiji Airways says sexual harassment clause in Employment Bill sets ‘impossible legal standard'
Fiji Airways has warned that the Employment Relations Bill’s requirement for employers to eliminate sexual harassment imposes an unrealistic and ...
2 hours ago

5 out of 7 people charged in Rewa Street and Flagstaff drug bust case plead not guilty
The Chinese, Federated States of Micronesia, and Fijian nationals charged in three separate Rewa Street and Flagstaff drug bust cases took their ...
3 hours ago

Semo bypass to open from midnight tonight
The bypass along the Queen's Highway at Semo Village will be open to the travelling public from midnight tonight.The Fiji Roads Authority (FRA) says ...
4 hours ago

$2.5B Emerald Bay Project advances with 184 residential lots
The $2.5 billion Emerald Bay Development in Nadawa is progressing well with the development of 184 residential lots as part of its first phase, ...
4 hours ago

Lautoka Central Head Boy advocating for drug-free and responsible living
Lautoka Central College Head Boy, Deevansh Singh is urging students to stay away from drugs and take greater responsibility in protecting the ...
5 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
13 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
13 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
14 days ago

TOP