Fijivillage
20 February, 2026, 7:29 am
Central - 25°C Clouds
20 February, 2026, 7:29 am Central - 25°C Clouds

Long-time BBC presenter Huw Edwards resigns months after explicit photo scandal

Long-time BBC presenter Huw Edwards resigns months after explicit photo scandal

By abc.net.au
24/04/2024
Huw Edwards resigns from BBC after sexually explicit images claims.

Huw Edwards, the long-time BBC presenter who was often picked to anchor coverage of major news events, has resigned, nine months after he was the subject of a pornography scandal.

In a statement released Monday, the corporation said Edwards, 62, had resigned for "medical reasons".

He had not been on air since July 2023 when reports in Britain's tabloids detailed claims he paid £35,000 ($67,000) to a young male, who sent him explicit images.

"After 40 years of service, Huw has explained that his decision was made on the basis of medical advice from his doctors," the BBC statement read.

"The BBC has accepted his resignation which it believes will allow all parties to move forward. We don't believe it appropriate to comment further."

Edwards has never commented publicly about the claims, and London's Metropolitan Police did not take action against, saying there was nothing to suggest the star had committed a criminal offence.

While Edwards was not identified in the initial reporting, his wife, Vicky Flind, named him after several days of intense speculation in the UK.

She revealed he had been admitted to hospital with "serious mental health issues" in the wake of the allegations.

Edwards, who joined the BBC in 1984, had previously fronted the corporation's flagship news bulletins and routinely anchored prominent coverage, including announcing the death of Queen Elizabeth II in 2022.

The claims first appeared in The Sun newspaper, which quoted the young person's mother and step-father.

However, their account was later described as "rubbish" by a lawyer acting for the young male.

Earlier this year, the BBC apologised for its handling of a complaint made by one of the young person's family members about Edwards alleged behaviour in May 2023.

Details of the complaint did not reach senior managers until early July, the same time the story broke in The Sun.

An independent report identified the need for greater consistency with regard to the handling complaints across the BBC's various departments.

A story on the BBC's website claimed the organisation had not paid Edwards off.

By Riley Stuart

Original article link: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-04-23/huw-edwards-resigns-from-bbc-nine-months-after-photo-scandal/103756340

FEATURE NEWS
EXCLUSIVE : I go to the FICAC office after hours to support my wife - Vakalalabure
Tevita Vakalalabure, lawyer and husband of Acting FICAC Commissioner, Lavi Rokoika, has today confirmed that he goes to his wife's FICAC office when s...
14 hours ago
LATEST NEWS
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has been arrested at his eastern England home.The UK's Telegraph newspaper says British police had arrived at the ...
54 minutes ago

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has been arrested at his eastern England home.The UK's Telegraph newspaper says British police had arrived at the ...
60 minutes ago

Fiji Airways says sexual harassment clause in Employment Bill sets ‘impossible legal standard'
Fiji Airways has warned that the Employment Relations Bill’s requirement for employers to eliminate sexual harassment imposes an unrealistic and ...
14 hours ago

5 out of 7 people charged in Rewa Street and Flagstaff drug bust case plead not guilty
The Chinese, Federated States of Micronesia, and Fijian nationals charged in three separate Rewa Street and Flagstaff drug bust cases took their ...
16 hours ago

Semo bypass to open from midnight tonight
The bypass along the Queen's Highway at Semo Village will be open to the travelling public from midnight tonight.The Fiji Roads Authority (FRA) says ...
16 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
14 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
14 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
15 days ago

TOP