Fijivillage
20 February, 2026, 10:25 am
Central - 31°C Rain
20 February, 2026, 10:25 am Central - 31°C Rain

King Charles III has cancer, will 'postpone public-facing duties', Buckingham Palace reveals

King Charles III has cancer, will 'postpone public-facing duties', Buckingham Palace reveals

By abc.net.au
06/02/2024
King Charles III was released from hospital last week after having treatment.(Reuters: Jane Barlow/ Pool )

King Charles III has been diagnosed with cancer, Buckingham Palace has revealed.

The King was last month treated in hospital for a benign prostate condition, and the palace said "a separate issue of concern was noted" during the stay.

"His Majesty has today commenced a schedule of regular treatments, during which time he has been advised by doctors to postpone public-facing duties," a statement from the palace read.

"Throughout this period, His Majesty will continue to undertake State business and official paperwork as usual."

The statement was released at 6pm Monday in London (5am Tuesday AEDT).

King Charles, 75, was released from hospital last Monday, January 29.

"The King is grateful to his medical team for their swift intervention, which was made possible thanks to his recent hospital procedure," the statement said.

"He remains wholly positive about his treatment and looks forward to returning to full public duty as soon as possible."

He ascended to the throne on September 8, 2022 after the death of his mother, Queen Elizabeth II, and his coronation was held in March last year.

"His Majesty has chosen to share his diagnosis to prevent speculation and in the hope it may assist public understanding for all those around the world who are affected by cancer," the statement read.

The diagnosis has not created a constitutional crisis in Britain, or the 14 other Commonwealth nations — including Australia — of which King Charles III is head of state.

He'll return to full public duties as soon as possible, although there's no indication when that might be.

The King will continue his weekly audiences with the British Prime Minister, who was informed of the diagnosis prior to the public announcement.

He will also continue to receive his daily red box, full of official paperwork.

In a statement released through the UK's Press Association, Prince Harry — the King's son, who now lives in California — said he would travel to see his father in the days ahead.

By Riley Stuart in London

Original article link: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-02-06/king-charles-cancer-diagnosis-revealed-by-buckingham-palace/103430320

FEATURE NEWS
We will investigate any claims of unauthorized aircraft connected to suspicious activity - Police
Police have today confirmed that they will investigate any claims of unauthorized aircraft suspected to be connected to a suspicious activity in Namul...
2 hours ago
LATEST NEWS
Andrew released after arrest on suspicion of misconduct in public office
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has been released following his arrest on suspicion of misconduct in public office.Thames Valley Police earlier said they ...
26 minutes ago

At 27, Reapi becomes Dux after being turned away when in Year 13
After being turned away from her Year 13 external exam because her family could not afford $570 in school fees, Reapi Tabuaniviti finally returned to ...
1 hour ago

Fiji Cancer Society to host free Health Expo in Lautoka today
Residents in the Western Division will have access to free cancer screenings and essential health services tomorrow as the Fiji Cancer Society will ...
2 hours ago

Fiji Muslim League calls for reflection and unity this Ramadan
As Muslims begin their fasting today, the Fiji Muslim League extended its warmest wishes for the blessed month to all Muslims in Fiji and abroad.Fiji ...
2 hours ago

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has been arrested at his eastern England home.The UK's Telegraph newspaper says British police had arrived at the ...
2 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
14 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
14 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
15 days ago

TOP