Fijivillage
18 February, 2026, 3:48 pm
Central - 28°C Rain
18 February, 2026, 3:48 pm Central - 28°C Rain

Israel launches new military operation in central Gaza

Israel launches new military operation in central Gaza

By Karishma Kumari
06/06/2024
Photo:BBC

Israel has launched a military campaign in Gaza to destroy Hamas in response to the group's cross-border attack on southern Israel on 7 October, during which around 1,200 people were killed and 251 others were taken hostage.

The Israeli military says it has taken “operational control” over eastern areas of Bureij refugee camp and the town of Deir al-Balah in central Gaza, as dozens of Palestinians were reported killed.

The say troops backed by air strikes had begun an operation against “terrorists and terrorist infrastructure above and below ground".

Residents reported intense bombardment and the charity Médecins Sans Frontières said at least 70 dead people - the majority women and children - had been brought to a local hospital since Tuesday.

It came as US, Egyptian and Qatari mediators met in Doha and Cairo to discuss how to finalise a new ceasefire and hostage release deal.

The US said on Tuesday it was still waiting for a response from Hamas to what it described as an Israeli proposal outlined by US President Joe Biden last week.

Qatar said it had delivered the plan to Hamas representatives and noted that it was also still waiting for a clear position from the Israeli government.

At least 36,580 people have been killed in Gaza since then, according to the territory's Hamas-run health ministry.

Source: BBC News

FEATURE NEWS
Bainimarama and Qiliho being questioned at CID Headquarters
Former Prime Minister, Voreqe Bainimarama and former Police Commissioner, Sitiveni Qiliho are currently being questioned at the CID Headquarters.fijiv...
54 minutes ago
LATEST NEWS
Free heart checks carried out for 1,487 children at Dilkusha Primary
A total of 1,487 free heart screenings were conducted for children by Shree Sathya Sai Sanjeevani Children’s Hospital Fiji during an outreach ...
10 minutes ago

Fiji removed from EU Blacklist
Great news as Fiji has officially been removed from the European Union list of non-cooperative jurisdictions for tax purposes (EU Blacklist).The ...
16 minutes ago

Faith Harvest Church trustees want Govt to join Israel charter proceedings
Reverend Manasa Kolivuso and other trustees of Faith Harvest Church who, along with others, have been sued by Fiji Airways for allegedly not paying ...
1 hour ago

Hearing for Judicial Review of COI set for 10th to 12th April
The hearing for the judicial review into the Commission of Inquiry Report regarding the appointment of Barbara Malimali as FICAC Commissioner will be ...
3 hours ago

Ash Wednesday marks a sacred call to spiritual renewal
As the sun shone over the Sacred Heart Cathedral Church, members joined fellow worshippers today to observe Ash Wednesday, marking the beginning of ...
4 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
12 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
12 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
13 days ago

TOP