Fijivillage
20 February, 2026, 1:07 pm
Central - 30°C Rain
20 February, 2026, 1:07 pm Central - 30°C Rain

Israel-Gaza war: Israel says strikes on refugee camp killed senior Hamas leader, Palestinian officials say 50 people dead

Israel-Gaza war: Israel says strikes on refugee camp killed senior Hamas leader, Palestinian officials say 50 people dead

By abc.net.au
01/11/2023
A resident described the air strikes that struck the Jabalia refugee camp as like an

Israeli air strikes on a refugee camp near Gaza City have levelled apartment buildings and reportedly killed at least 50 people — including a senior Hamas leader — as ground troops battle militants across northern Gaza and attack underground compounds.

Israel launched its siege after Hamas-led militants burst over the border and rampaged through nearby Israeli towns and kibbutzim on October 7, killing some 1,400 people and taking more than 200 hostages, according to Israeli authorities.

Gaza's Health Ministry said on Tuesday local time that an estimated 8,525 people — including an estimated 3,542 children— had been killed in Israel's three-week-old air and ground onslaught. The director of Gaza's Indonesian Hospital told Al Jazeera that more than 50 Palestinians were killed and 150 wounded in Israeli air strikes on a densely populated area of the Jabalia refugee camp in northern Gaza.

Jabalia, which lies on Gaza City's outskirts within the main northern ground zone of combat between dug-in Hamas militants and Israeli troops and tanks, houses families of refugees from wars with Israel dating back to 1948.

Marwan Jilani, director general of the Palestinian Red Crescent, told CNN that its ambulances had transported 30 bodies to hospitals.

"This is only our ambulances," he said. "We are only one service in addition to the civil defence and the Ministry of Health ambulance services.

"So we expect that the toll to increase. There are so many people under the rubble we cannot reach."

IDF Brigadier General Daniel Hagari said an underground Hamas installation beneath a targeted building collapsed, toppling other nearby buildings.

He said the commander killed in the strike, Ibrahim Biari, had played a role in the October 7 attack on Israel.

AFP footage from the scene showed at least 47 bodies recovered from the rubble after the strike hit several houses in the densely crowded camp.

"There's no exaggerating when they talk about hundreds of martyrs and wounded."

People were still "transporting the remains of children, women and elderly", he added.

Source: ABC.AU

Original story: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-11-01/israel-gaza-war-latest-updates/103046888

FEATURE NEWS
Fiji removed from EU tax blacklist after years of reform
Fiji has been removed from the European Union’s blacklist of non-cooperative jurisdictions for tax purposes, marking what the Fiji Revenue and Custo...
1 hour ago
LATEST NEWS
Naitasiri murder accused remains in custody pending psychiatric evaluation
The 43-year-old man who allegedly killed 16-year-old Salote Sikiti with a cane knife in Naqali Village, Naitasiri remains remanded in custody after ...
10 minutes ago

Nepani Homes progressing, families to move in by mid-year - Magnus
Works at the Nepani Subdivision are advancing, and families allocated homes through the recent barrel draw are expected to begin moving in by ...
11 minutes ago

UK High Commissioner launches “No Learner Left Behind” initiative in Fiji
British High Commissioner to Fiji, Kanbar Hossein-Bor, hosted the inaugural stakeholder meeting for the “No Learner Left Behind” initiative, in ...
1 hour ago

Instead of drugs people should dedicate themselves to spiritual development - Dr Maharaj
General Practitioner Dr Rajesh Maharaj says instead of indulging in drugs, alcohol, kava and smoking, people should dedicate themselves to spiritual ...
1 hour ago

Fiji removed from EU tax blacklist after years of reform
Fiji has been removed from the European Union’s blacklist of non-cooperative jurisdictions for tax purposes, marking what the Fiji Revenue and ...
1 hour ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
14 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
14 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
15 days ago

TOP