Fijivillage
21 February, 2026, 2:31 am
Central - 23°C Clouds
21 February, 2026, 2:31 am Central - 23°C Clouds

Indonesia military ready for operation to free New Zealand pilot hostage Philip Mehrtens, if talks fail

Indonesia military ready for operation to free New Zealand pilot hostage Philip Mehrtens, if talks fail

By abc.net.au
17/02/2023
Philip Mehrtens was taken hostage by West Papuan rebels last week after he landed a plane at a remote airstrip.(Supplied )

An Indonesian military commander in its restive Papua region said a "law enforcement operation" was being prepared to free a New Zealand pilot held hostage by separatists, but only as a last resort if negotiations failed.

Indonesia was currently taking soft approaches to try to break the deadlock, regional commander Muhammad Saleh Mustafa said, with local politicians and religious figures involved in trying to secure the release of Philip Mehrtens.

Mr Mehrtens, a Susi Air pilot, was abducted by the West Papua National Liberation Army (TPNPB) last week after landing in the remote region of Nduga.

"Indonesian police and military do have a standard operating procedure in enforcing the law," Mr Muhammad told a news conference, without elaborating.

"To prevent this problem being prolonged we must set a deadline."

A spokesperson for the TPNPB shared photographs and videos of Mr Mehrtens on Wednesday surrounded by about a dozen fighters, some armed with guns and bows.

Mr Mehrtens is heard saying his captors asked for the Indonesian military's withdrawal from Papua, otherwise he would be held for life.

Separatists have waged a low-level fight for independence since the resource-rich region, once governed by the Netherlands, was brought under Indonesian control following a controversial United Nations backed referendum in 1969.

Hostage-taking has been rare and the conflict has escalated since 2018, with rebels mounting deadlier and more frequent attacks.

Mr Muhammad did not provide details of what the operation might entail, citing confidentiality, but said police, military and intelligence officials were involved in the planning.

"The perpetrators are not from a separatist group, the perpetrators are terrorists involved in crime," Muhammad said.

"That is why the military and police must enforce the law."

New Zealand's embassy had given its approval for the plan, he said.

New Zealand's foreign ministry did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Thursday.

Late on Tuesday, Indonesia's chief security minister Mahfud MD vowed to ensure Mr Mehrtens' release using "persuasive approaches, but said could not rule out "other ways".

[Story By: Reuters]

Original Article Linkhttps://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-17/philip-mehrtens-indonesia-hostage-operation/101987582

FEATURE NEWS
Drua suffer second bonus point defeat in Sydney
The Swire Shipping Fijian Drua suffered their second bonus-point defeat of the season, going down 36–13 to the Waratahs tonight. The Drua display...
6 hours ago
LATEST NEWS
PM confirms independent investigations into allegations against Saukuru and Gilbert Vakalalabure
Prime Minister, Sitiveni Rabuka confirms that he met Minister for Youth and Sports, Jese Saukuru, and informed him that an independent investigation ...
6 hours ago

Rabuka to meet Sports Minister over Fiji Sports Council concerns
Prime Minister Sitiveni Rabuka confirms he will meet Sports Minister Jese Saukuru today in relation to the Fiji Sports Council issues. The issues ...
7 hours ago

Electricity restored in Central and Western divisions after 132kV circuit fault
Electricity has been fully restored across the Central and Western Divisions following a fault on the 132kV Wailoa–Cunningham Circuit.Energy Fiji ...
9 hours ago

Police yet to respond if they will appeal Vakarisi's suspended sentence
Police are yet to confirm whether they will appeal Jone Vakarisi's three months sentence, suspended for two years.Vakarisi was earlier found guilty ...
9 hours ago

Severe Thunderstorm Warning in force for parts of Viti Levu
A Severe Thunderstorm Warning for Heavy Rain is now in force for the northeastern and interior parts of Viti Levu from Ba through Rakiraki to ...
11 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
15 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
15 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
16 days ago

TOP