Fijivillage
20 February, 2026, 1:46 am
Central - 23°C Clouds
20 February, 2026, 1:46 am Central - 23°C Clouds

Indo-Fijians population declines from 52% to 33% – Multi-Ethnic Minister

Indo-Fijians population declines from 52% to 33% – Multi-Ethnic Minister

By Mansi Chand , Rashika Kumar
08/05/2025
Minister for Multi-Ethnic Affairs and Sugar Industry, Charan Jeath Singh

In the late 1970s and 1980s, the Indo-Fijian population was about 52 percent, however, this has declined to about 33 percent over the years.

Minister for Multi-Ethnic Affairs and Sugar Industry, Charan Jeath Singh highlighted this to fijivillage News in an interview and emphasised that their presence shaped much of Fiji’s social and economic landscape.

Singh says previously Indo-Fijian families had 10 to 12 children and they played a vital role, working with their parents on the farms, contributing to the livelihood.

He further says many started leaving after the 1987 coup as they felt insecure while the automatic decline in the population was because Indo-Fijian families now have children no more than two on average.

The Minister adds that the shift in family dynamics and political instability have contributed to the population decline.

Meanwhile, the theme for the 146th Girmit Day celebration is "Preserving the Past, Envisioning the Future."

The celebrations to focus on the contributions of the Indo Fijian community will take place from Saturday to Monday at Subrail Park in Labasa.

The public holiday for Girmit is on Monday 12th May.

FEATURE NEWS
EXCLUSIVE : I go to the FICAC office after hours to support my wife - Vakalalabure
Tevita Vakalalabure, lawyer and husband of Acting FICAC Commissioner, Lavi Rokoika, has today confirmed that he goes to his wife's FICAC office when s...
9 hours ago
LATEST NEWS
Fiji Airways says sexual harassment clause in Employment Bill sets ‘impossible legal standard'
Fiji Airways has warned that the Employment Relations Bill’s requirement for employers to eliminate sexual harassment imposes an unrealistic and ...
9 hours ago

5 out of 7 people charged in Rewa Street and Flagstaff drug bust case plead not guilty
The Chinese, Federated States of Micronesia, and Fijian nationals charged in three separate Rewa Street and Flagstaff drug bust cases took their ...
10 hours ago

Semo bypass to open from midnight tonight
The bypass along the Queen's Highway at Semo Village will be open to the travelling public from midnight tonight.The Fiji Roads Authority (FRA) says ...
11 hours ago

$2.5B Emerald Bay Project advances with 184 residential lots
The $2.5 billion Emerald Bay Development in Nadawa is progressing well with the development of 184 residential lots as part of its first phase, ...
11 hours ago

Lautoka Central Head Boy advocating for drug-free and responsible living
Lautoka Central College Head Boy, Deevansh Singh is urging students to stay away from drugs and take greater responsibility in protecting the ...
11 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
14 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
14 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
15 days ago

TOP