Fijivillage
19 February, 2026, 4:12 pm
Central - 28°C Rain
19 February, 2026, 4:12 pm Central - 28°C Rain

Howard University revokes Sean Combs’ honorary degree and terminates $2 million gift and pledge agreement

Howard University revokes Sean Combs’ honorary degree and terminates $2 million gift and pledge agreement

By fijivillage
10/06/2024
Sean "Diddy" Combs attends the 2022 Billboard Music Awards at MGM Grand Garden Arena on May 15, 2022 in Las Vegas, Nevada. Frazer Harrison/Getty Images/File

Howard University’s Board of Trustees voted unanimously Friday to revoke the honorary degree given to Sean “Diddy” Combs in 2014, saying he is “no longer worthy to hold the institution’s highest honor.”

The university will also return Combs’ $1 million contribution and terminate a $1 million pledge agreement from the Sean Combs Foundation, the Board said in a statement Friday.

“Mr. Combs’ behavior as captured in a recently released video is so fundamentally incompatible with Howard University’s core values and beliefs that he is deemed no longer worthy to hold the institution’s highest honor,” the Board said in the statement.

CNN published a 2016 surveillance video showing Combs physically assaulting his former girlfriend, singer Cassie Ventura, at the now-closed InterContinental Hotel in Century City, Los Angeles.

The Washington, DC-based historically Black college or university said it will disband its scholarship program in Combs’ name.

“The University is unwavering in its opposition to all acts of interpersonal violence,” the board added, linking to the school’s “Interpersonal Violence Prevention” webpage in the statement.

Howard University’s announcement comes amid the ongoing controversy surrounding the once-beloved Bad Boy Records music mogul. Combs has been named in eight lawsuits since November, when Ventura accused him in a now-settled claim of years of abuse during their relationship and of raping her in 2018, CNN previously reported.

Subsequent lawsuits have accused Combs of sexual misconduct and other illegal activity. He has not responded to all the allegations against him but has denied claims from many of the civil suits.

The US Department of Homeland Security’s investigative arm launched a federal probe into Combs and allegations of sex trafficking. Investigators searched his Los Angeles and Miami homes on March 25 as part of the probe. No federal criminal charges have been filed against Combs.

The surveillance video published by CNN could potentially become evidence in the federal investigation.

Meanwhile, investigators are preparing to bring Combs’ accusers before a federal grand jury in New York, sources familiar with the probe told CNN.

Allegations of money laundering and illegal drugs are also being federally investigated, CNN has learned.

Combs recently sold a majority stake in media company and television network Revolt, which he founded in 2013, the company said.

CNN’s Taylor Romine contributed to this report.

Source : CNN

FEATURE NEWS
Bainimarama and Qiliho granted bail in inciting to mutiny case
Former Prime Minister Voreqe Bainimarama and former Police Commissioner Sitiveni Qiliho have been granted bail. They are charged with inciting to mut...
23 minutes ago
LATEST NEWS
5 out of 7 people charged in Rewa Street and Flagstaff drug bust case plead not guilty
The Chinese, Federated States of Micronesia, and Fijian nationals charged in three separate Rewa Street and Flagstaff drug bust cases took their ...
32 minutes ago

Semo bypass to open from midnight tonight
The bypass along the Queen's Highway at Semo Village will be open to the travelling public from midnight tonight.The Fiji Roads Authority (FRA) says ...
1 hour ago

$2.5B Emerald Bay Project advances with 184 residential lots
The $2.5 billion Emerald Bay Development in Nadawa is progressing well with the development of 184 residential lots as part of its first phase, ...
2 hours ago

Lautoka Central Head Boy advocating for drug-free and responsible living
Lautoka Central College Head Boy, Deevansh Singh is urging students to stay away from drugs and take greater responsibility in protecting the ...
2 hours ago

$1M fines and jail terms ‘too harsh’, says Fiji Airways
Fiji Airways has raised serious concerns over the scale and scope of penalties proposed in the Employment Relations Bill, warning that the ...
2 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
13 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
13 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
14 days ago

TOP