Fijivillage
18 February, 2026, 9:34 pm
Central - 24°C Clouds
18 February, 2026, 9:34 pm Central - 24°C Clouds

Hayne wins appeal in rape case, ordered to stand trial for a fourth time

Hayne wins appeal in rape case, ordered to stand trial for a fourth time

By Navitalai Naivalurua
13/06/2024
[Image: SBS]

Former Vodafone Fiji Bati and Australian Kangaroos’ star Jarryd Hayne has won an appeal against his rape convictions and has been ordered to stand trial for a fourth time in the same case.

The 36-year-old was found guilty of sexual assault by a jury last year and sentenced to spend at least three years in jail.

He has consistently denied he attacked the woman - who cannot legally be named - in her bedroom, arguing the pair had consensual sex.

Hayne was one of the most high-profile athletes in the NRL and briefly played American football in the NFL.

During an 11-day trial last year, the 26-year-old woman told a New South Wales (NSW) court the pair had chatted on social media for two weeks before Hayne stopped at her house in Newcastle - about two hours north of Sydney - after a bachelor party in September 2018.

Hayne’s appeal was heard in April by a panel of three judges from the State's top court.

When delivering the verdict, Justice Stephen Rothman said it had amounted to a miscarriage of justice, ordering Hayne's convictions to be quashed.

Last year's trial was the third time Hayne has stood accused over the same case. His first trial ended in a hung jury, and a guilty verdict in the second trial was overturned on appeal.

He has collectively spent almost two years in jail as the legal saga has unfolded, and his accuser has been forced to give evidence and face lengthy cross-examination multiple times.

Hayne twice won the NRL's Player of the Year award and played 11 Tests for Australia.

At the height of his NRL career, in 2015, he joined the NFL in the US with the San Francisco 49ers.

BBC

FEATURE NEWS
Bainimarama and Qiliho charged with inciting mutiny
Former Prime Minister, Voreqe Bainimarama and former Police Commissioner, Sitiveni Qiliho have been charged with inciting mutiny, and will spend the n...
3 hours ago
LATEST NEWS
Ramadan to start this Friday
The moon for Ramadan has not been sighted, and the Fiji Muslim League confirms fasting will now begin this Friday.Speaking to fijivillage News, Mufti ...
3 minutes ago

Six students questioned over Galoa bullying case
Six students have been questioned and released by police following an alleged bullying incident in Galoa Village, Serua. Police confirm that ...
2 hours ago

Waqanika and Bainivalu pleased with discussions; JSC to meet again on 25 March
Following a meeting with the Judicial Services Commission, chaired by Chief Justice Salesi Temo, the counsel of sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara ...
2 hours ago

Bainimarama and Qiliho charged with inciting mutiny
Bainimarama and Qiliho charged with inciting mutinyFormer Prime Minister, Voreqe Bainimarama and former Police Commissioner, Sitiveni Qiliho have ...
3 hours ago

Ash Wednesday marks a sacred call to spiritual renewal
As the sun shone over the Sacred Heart Cathedral Church, members joined fellow worshippers today to observe Ash Wednesday, marking the beginning of ...
3 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
12 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
12 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
13 days ago

TOP