Fijivillage
19 February, 2026, 5:42 am
Central - 23°C Clouds
19 February, 2026, 5:42 am Central - 23°C Clouds

Gatherings can now take place at 50% of a venue's capacity
Nightclubs seeking to change business designation to re-open will be assessed on a case by case basis

Gatherings can now take place at 50% of a venue's capacity

Nightclubs seeking to change business designation to re-open will be assessed on a case by case basis

By Rashika Kumar
25/08/2020
Acting Permanent Secretary for Health James Fong.

Fijians can now gather at 50% capacity of the venue as the restriction to have 100 at a venue has been amended.

Acting Permanent Secretary for Health, Doctor James Fong says they are allowing for houses of worship, restaurants, cafes, entertainment venues such as gaming centres, bars, pubs and conferences and meeting venues, swimming pools, common areas in boarding facilities and weddings, funerals and other community gatherings to function at 50% capacity.


He is urging event organisers to make sure everyone attending the event has the careFIJI app installed with the bluetooth switched on or they must manually sign in with someone at the front.

Dr. Fong has also confirmed that any requests from nightclubs to seek new business designations will be approved on a case by case basis, with compulsory input from the Ministry of Health.

The Acting Permanent Secretary says their teams need to ensure these venues can operate in a COVID-safe manner before any new designation can be considered and they can re-open their doors.

He says they have had to shut down a bar because of non-adherence to the guidelines.

Dr. Fong has also confirmed that they are in the process of drawing up guidelines to distinguish a nightclub from a tavern.

The Acting Permanent Secretary has also confirmed that under the Blue Lanes initiative, 66 yachts have been approved, with more yachts and superyachts on the way.

He says to ensure superyachts can function properly, they are allowing for crew changes which means crew are being flown in to Fiji to join superyachts, allowing these vessels to be properly run and maintained for months at sea in Fiji.

Meanwhile, travellers from New Zealand and Australia will now need to clear a negative COVID test, spend 14 days of quarantine in a Fijian government quarantine facility and then be allowed to go to specially designated resorts to begin their Bula Bubble vacation through VIP lanes.

It was previously announced that travellers from Australia and New Zealand would be allowed to spend 14 days of quarantine in their home country, clear a negative COVID test and arrive in Fiji.

Dr. Fong says the Australian and New Zealand governments cannot certify home quarantine for potential travellers to Fiji due to new outbreaks of COVID-19 in their communities.

He has also confirmed that Fiji has allowed diplomats to return to Fiji on a case-by-case basis and is also selectively granting new permits on a case-by-case basis for individuals who possess specialised skills that aid Fiji’s COVID-safe economic recovery.

Dr. Fong says existing and new permit holders must apply to the Permanent Secretary for Immigration to enter Fiji and all applications for returning diplomats and permit holders are subject to vetting by the Ministry of Health.

FEATURE NEWS
Bainimarama and Qiliho charged with inciting mutiny
Former Prime Minister, Voreqe Bainimarama and former Police Commissioner, Sitiveni Qiliho have been charged with inciting mutiny, and will spend the n...
21 minutes ago
LATEST NEWS
Ramadan to start tomorrow
The moon for Ramadan has not been sighted, and the Fiji Muslim League confirms fasting will now begin this tomorrow.Speaking to fijivillage News, ...
43 minutes ago

Ramadan to start this Friday
The moon for Ramadan has not been sighted, and the Fiji Muslim League confirms fasting will now begin this Friday. Speaking to fijivillage News, ...
7 hours ago

Six students questioned over Galoa bullying case
Six students have been questioned and released by police following an alleged bullying incident in Galoa Village, Serua. Police confirm that ...
10 hours ago

Waqanika and Bainivalu pleased with discussions; JSC to meet again on 25 March
Following a meeting with the Judicial Services Commission, chaired by Chief Justice Salesi Temo, the counsel of sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara ...
10 hours ago

Bainimarama and Qiliho charged with inciting mutiny
Bainimarama and Qiliho charged with inciting mutinyFormer Prime Minister, Voreqe Bainimarama and former Police Commissioner, Sitiveni Qiliho have ...
11 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
13 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
13 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
14 days ago

TOP