Fijivillage
20 February, 2026, 12:39 am
Central - 23°C Clouds
20 February, 2026, 12:39 am Central - 23°C Clouds

Former MMA fighter Conor McGregor loses his appeal against civil rape case

Former MMA fighter Conor McGregor loses his appeal against civil rape case

By abc.net.au
01/08/2025
An Irish appeals court has completely dismissed former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) star Conor McGregor's bid to overturn a jury's order that he compensate a woman who accused him of raping her. (Reuters: Clodagh Kilcoyne)

Former mixed martial arts (MMA) fighter Conor McGregor has lost his attempt to overturn a civil jury's order that he compensate a woman who accused him of raping her, with Ireland's Court of Appeal rejecting the bid in its entirety.

The plaintiff, Nikita Hand, alleged that McGregor — one of the world's highest-paid athletes — sexually assaulted her in a Dublin hotel room on December 9, 2018. 

A jury last year ordered McGregor to pay her nearly 250,000 euros ($443,357) in damages.

McGregor, 36, denied the allegation and said he had "fully consensual sex" with Ms Hand. 

The ex-Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) star also denied causing bruising to the plaintiff.

Ms Hand last year said that she and a friend made contact with McGregor, who she knew, after a work Christmas party.

She said they were driven by McGregor to a party in a penthouse room of a south Dublin hotel where drugs and alcohol were consumed.

The verdict against McGregor was reached at the conclusion of a two-week civil trial in Ireland's high court, by a jury of eight women and four men.

They handed down their decision after just over six hours of deliberations.

Speaking outside the court in November last year after the initial verdict was handed down, Ms Hand said she was overwhelmed by the support she had received and felt vindicated.

"I hope my story is a reminder that no matter how afraid you might be, speak up," she said.

The now-retired MMA star earnt $180 million in 2021, making him the world's highest paid athlete in 2021, according to Forbes.

In March this year, McGregor was invited to the White House by United States President Donald Trump on St Patrick's Day, where the former UFC champion made various anti-immigration comments in relation to Ireland.

"It’s about time that America is made aware of what’s going on in Ireland. What is going on in Ireland is a travesty," McGregor said, ahead of an Oval Office meeting with the US president.

Story by: Reuters

Original Story link: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2025-08-01/conor-mcgregor-sex-assault-appeal-dismissed-by-irish-court/105599194

FEATURE NEWS
EXCLUSIVE : I go to the FICAC office after hours to support my wife - Vakalalabure
Tevita Vakalalabure, lawyer and husband of Acting FICAC Commissioner, Lavi Rokoika, has today confirmed that he goes to his wife's FICAC office when s...
8 hours ago
LATEST NEWS
Fiji Airways says sexual harassment clause in Employment Bill sets ‘impossible legal standard'
Fiji Airways has warned that the Employment Relations Bill’s requirement for employers to eliminate sexual harassment imposes an unrealistic and ...
8 hours ago

5 out of 7 people charged in Rewa Street and Flagstaff drug bust case plead not guilty
The Chinese, Federated States of Micronesia, and Fijian nationals charged in three separate Rewa Street and Flagstaff drug bust cases took their ...
9 hours ago

Semo bypass to open from midnight tonight
The bypass along the Queen's Highway at Semo Village will be open to the travelling public from midnight tonight.The Fiji Roads Authority (FRA) says ...
10 hours ago

$2.5B Emerald Bay Project advances with 184 residential lots
The $2.5 billion Emerald Bay Development in Nadawa is progressing well with the development of 184 residential lots as part of its first phase, ...
10 hours ago

Lautoka Central Head Boy advocating for drug-free and responsible living
Lautoka Central College Head Boy, Deevansh Singh is urging students to stay away from drugs and take greater responsibility in protecting the ...
10 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
13 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
14 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
14 days ago

TOP