Fijivillage
20 February, 2026, 5:08 pm
Central - 26°C Rain
20 February, 2026, 5:08 pm Central - 26°C Rain

Ferry sinks off Sulawesi island in Indonesia, killing 15 while 33 others survive

Ferry sinks off Sulawesi island in Indonesia, killing 15 while 33 others survive

By abc.net.au
28/07/2023
The ferry was taking people across a bay at Muna island when it sank. (BASARNAS via AP)

An overloaded passenger boat has capsized off Indonesia's Sulawesi island, killing 15 people, but authorities say the 33 other passengers survived.

The vessel was travelling from Lanto village in Buton Central regency in South-East Sulawesi province to nearby Lagili village when it capsized just after midnight on Monday, local search and rescue agency head Muhammad Arafah said.

The wooden boat was designed to carry 20 people.

A search and rescue team initially found 15 bodies and rescued six people, and continued its search for the others.

But the operation was later called off when officials determined that all on board had been accounted for.

"There were 27 people who survived but had not previously been reported because they went straight home," Mr Arafah said in a statement.

Three inflatable boats, two fishing boats and six divers were deployed while the search was underway.

Thousands of residents had travelled to their villages to celebrate the regency's ninth anniversary on Sunday, and many people were transported by fishing or passenger boats.

Television news showed footage of people on fishing boats retrieving bodies in the overnight darkness, and grieving relatives waiting for information at a port and a local hospital.

Indonesia is an archipelago with more than 17,000 islands, and ferries and boats are a common form of transportation. With lax safety standards and problems with overcrowding, accidents occur frequently.

In 2018, an overcrowded ferry with about 200 people on board sank in a lake in North Sumatra province, killing 167 people.

In one of the country's worst recorded disasters, an overcrowded passenger ship sank in February 1999 with 332 people aboard.

Only 20 people survived.

Story By: AP/ABC

Original link: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-07-24/ferry-sinking-in-indonesia-sulawesi-island/102639880

FEATURE NEWS
PM says allegations against Acting FICAC Commissioner have to be investigated
Prime Minister, Sitiveni Rabuka says the allegations of nepotism against the Acting FICAC Commissioner, Lavi Rokoika have to be investigated, and the ...
2 minutes ago
LATEST NEWS
Police yet to respond if they will appeal Vakarisi's suspended sentence
Police are yet to confirm whether they will appeal Jone Vakarisi's three months sentence, suspended for two years.Vakarisi was earlier found guilty ...
53 seconds ago

Rabuka to meet Sports Minister over Fiji Sports Council concerns
Prime Minister Sitiveni Rabuka confirms he will meet Sports Minister Jese Saukuru today in relation to the Fiji Sports Council issues.  This ...
2 minutes ago

Parts of the Central and Western Divisions currently without power after 132kV circuit fault
A fault on the 132kV Wailoa–Cunningham Circuit has resulted in multiple power disruptions across the Central and Western Divisions.The Energy Fiji ...
1 hour ago

Severe Thunderstorm Warning in force for parts of Viti Levu
A Severe Thunderstorm Warning for Heavy Rain is now in force for the northeastern and interior parts of Viti Levu from Ba through Rakiraki to ...
1 hour ago

Vuibereta to take plea in High Court over alleged bail breaches
Lui Bale Vuibureta, also known as XKON, is set to take his plea in the Suva High Court on the 6th of next month.Vuibureta appeared before Justice ...
2 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
14 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
14 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
15 days ago

TOP