Fijivillage
19 February, 2026, 5:29 pm
Central - 27°C Rain
19 February, 2026, 5:29 pm Central - 27°C Rain

Erasmus makes 11 changes for Italy showdown

Erasmus makes 11 changes for Italy showdown

By Alipate Narawa
14/11/2025
Photo : Flashscore

Springbok coach Rassie Erasmus has named a new-look starting team for their Italy Test, making 11 changes to his run on side which will again be led by inspirational captain Siya Kolisi from last week’s 32-17 victory against France.

The players who retained their places in the starting team are Boan Venter (prop), Kolisi (flanker), Kurt-Lee Arendse (wing) and Damian Willemse (fullback), while Erasmus opted for the same bench except for Kwagga Smith (loose forward), who returns to the squad in place of Johan Grobbelaar, who was promoted to the starting lineup.

RG Snyman (replacement lock) is in line to earn his 49th Test cap, leaving him only one match short of joining the select group of players who have racked up a half-century of Test caps.

The Boks coach named a fresh front row of Venter, Grobbelaar and Zachary Porthen, while Jean Kleyn will feature in his first match since the 2023 Rugby World Cup Final when he pairs up with Franco Mostert in the engine room.

Kolisi retains the No 6 jersey in a loose trio with Ben-Jason Dixon, in what marks his first Test this season, and Marco van Staden, who will start at No 8.

The Boks backline also has a new feel to it, with Morne van den Berg and Handre Pollard dictating play at the halves, while Kurt-Lee Arendse and Edwill van der Merwe have been selected at wing.

Ethan Hooker and Canan Moodie form a physical centre pairing, and Willemse serving as the last line of defence at fullback.

On the bench, Erasmus – who guided the team in his 50th Test as head coach last week – has included props Gerhard Steenekamp and Wilco Louw, locks Snyman and Ruan Nortje, loose forward Kwagga Smith and hybrid Andre Esterhuizen, while the two specialist backline players are Grant Williams (scrumhalf) and Manie Libbok (flyhalf). Van Staden will serve as the back-up hooker.

Erasmus says they stated from the outset of the tour that they want to give as many players as possible a chance to play, and they believe this team is best suited to the threats Italy will pose.

He says one of their key pillars is to build squad depth, and it’s great to have players like Jean, Handre, Edwill, and Ben-Jason back, who have all been in the mix in the last few seasons.

Erasmus expects Italy to come out firing and said their victory against Australia last week proved what a force they can be.

The Springboks take on Italy at 12.40am Sunday.

Springbok team to face Italy in Turin:

Damian Willemse, Edwill van der Merwe, Canan Moodie, Ethan Hooker, Kurt-Lee Arendse, Handre Pollard, Morne van den Berg, Marco van Staden, Ben-Jason Dixon, Siya Kolisi, Franco Mostert, Jean Kleyn, Zachary Porthen, Johan Grobbelaar, Boan Venter.

Impact Players: Gerhard Steenekamp, Wilco Louw, RG Snyman, Ruan Nortje, Andre Esterhuizen, Kwagga Smith, Grant Williams, Manie Libbok.

Source: springboks.rugby

FNRL
FEATURE NEWS
EXCLUSIVE : I go to the FICAC office after hours to support my wife - Vakalalabure
Tevita Vakalalabure, lawyer and husband of Acting FICAC Commissioner, Lavi Rokoika, has today confirmed that he goes to his wife's FICAC office when s...
23 minutes ago
LATEST NEWS
Fiji Airways says sexual harassment clause in Employment Bill sets ‘impossible legal standard'
Fiji Airways has warned that the Employment Relations Bill’s requirement for employers to eliminate sexual harassment imposes an unrealistic and ...
21 minutes ago

5 out of 7 people charged in Rewa Street and Flagstaff drug bust case plead not guilty
The Chinese, Federated States of Micronesia, and Fijian nationals charged in three separate Rewa Street and Flagstaff drug bust cases took their ...
2 hours ago

Semo bypass to open from midnight tonight
The bypass along the Queen's Highway at Semo Village will be open to the travelling public from midnight tonight.The Fiji Roads Authority (FRA) says ...
2 hours ago

$2.5B Emerald Bay Project advances with 184 residential lots
The $2.5 billion Emerald Bay Development in Nadawa is progressing well with the development of 184 residential lots as part of its first phase, ...
3 hours ago

Lautoka Central Head Boy advocating for drug-free and responsible living
Lautoka Central College Head Boy, Deevansh Singh is urging students to stay away from drugs and take greater responsibility in protecting the ...
3 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
13 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
13 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
14 days ago

TOP