Fijivillage
20 February, 2026, 1:04 pm
Central - 30°C Rain
20 February, 2026, 1:04 pm Central - 30°C Rain

Emergency warnings issued for fast-moving fires in southern Queensland

Emergency warnings issued for fast-moving fires in southern Queensland

By abc.net.au
24/10/2023
An emergency warning is in place for a bushfire at Millmerran Woods and Cypress Gardens.(ABC News)

Emergency warnings were issued for several bushfires in southern Queensland on Monday, with fire crews battling multiple blazes across the region.

An emergency warning remains in place for a bushfire at Tara, with properties between Chinchilla Tara Road, Timothy Road, Weitzels Road, Tara Kogan Road, Spinifex Road at risk.

Residents were urged to leave immediately early in the afternoon, and evacuation centres were set up at the Western Downs Regional Council centre.

Residents at Cypress Gardens and Millmerran Downs, about 250 kilometres west of Brisbane, were also urged to leave early in the afternoon, before the warning was downgraded to watch and act at 8:37pm.

Queensland Rural Fire Service Superintendent Wayne Waltisbuhl said six water-bombing aircraft had been called in to help.

He said resources had been stretched due to the multiple fires across the region.

A watch and act warning also remains in place at Captains Mountain, with people urged to prepare to leave.

Warnings for a bushfire at Hendon, near Allora on the Southern Downs, were downgraded to advice level, with residents being urged to stay informed.

Superintendent Waltisbuhl said the fire, which has burnt more than 200 hectares of land, was being investigated and at this stage was considered suspicious.

Fire ban issued

Warm conditions hampered firefighting efforts on Monday, and the Queensland Fire and Emergency Services issued a local fire ban for southern and south-west Queensland.

The ban will be in place from Tuesday morning and apply to the Toowoomba, Southern Downs, Western Downs, Goondiwindi, Maranoa and Balonne council areas.

Superintendent Waltisbuhl said authorities were expecting dry conditions with humidity forecast to be under 30 per cent.

"We're moving into dangerous conditions," he said.

All permits to light fires will be suspended during the ban.

Story By: ABC Southern Qld / By David Chen

Original Story link: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-10-23/emergency-warnings-issued-for-southern-qld-bushfires/103010840

FEATURE NEWS
Fiji removed from EU tax blacklist after years of reform
Fiji has been removed from the European Union’s blacklist of non-cooperative jurisdictions for tax purposes, marking what the Fiji Revenue and Custo...
1 hour ago
LATEST NEWS
Naitasiri murder accused remains in custody pending psychiatric evaluation
The 43-year-old man who allegedly killed 16-year-old Salote Sikiti with a cane knife in Naqali Village, Naitasiri remains remanded in custody after ...
7 minutes ago

Nepani Homes progressing, families to move in by mid-year - Magnus
Works at the Nepani Subdivision are advancing, and families allocated homes through the recent barrel draw are expected to begin moving in by ...
8 minutes ago

UK High Commissioner launches “No Learner Left Behind” initiative in Fiji
British High Commissioner to Fiji, Kanbar Hossein-Bor, hosted the inaugural stakeholder meeting for the “No Learner Left Behind” initiative, in ...
1 hour ago

Instead of drugs people should dedicate themselves to spiritual development - Dr Maharaj
General Practitioner Dr Rajesh Maharaj says instead of indulging in drugs, alcohol, kava and smoking, people should dedicate themselves to spiritual ...
1 hour ago

Fiji removed from EU tax blacklist after years of reform
Fiji has been removed from the European Union’s blacklist of non-cooperative jurisdictions for tax purposes, marking what the Fiji Revenue and ...
1 hour ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
14 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
14 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
15 days ago

TOP