Fijivillage
22 February, 2026, 9:00 pm
Central - 26°C Rain
22 February, 2026, 9:00 pm Central - 26°C Rain

Dr Fong to issue statement later after analysis of the new COVID variant, Omicron detected in different parts of the world

Dr Fong to issue statement later after analysis of the new COVID variant, Omicron detected in different parts of the world

By Vijay Narayan
28/11/2021
Permanent Secretary for Health Doctor James Fong.

Permanent Secretary for Health, Doctor James Fong is expected to issue a statement later after a full analysis of the cases detected of the new COVID-19 variant of concern, Omicron in different parts of the world.

Fijivillage has asked the Fijian Health Ministry on our state of preparedness for Omicron.

We have also asked for clarification on the measures to ensure we do not have cases when people come in from December 1st, stay at the hotel for 3 days but move to travel safe areas.

We have also asked what would be the travel safe areas and how will people be transported and monitored.

Fijivillage has also asked whether it would be safe for international visitors to leave the hotel premises during those 3 days and what measures are in place.

We have also asked whether all this will change after assessments following the emergence of Omicron cases in different parts of the world.

Doctor Fong will issue a statement to clarify the matters later.

Meanwhile, the Sydney Morning Herald reports that NSW Health Minister Brad Hazzard says it is possible the Omicron variant has already entered the state, where fully vaccinated international arrivals have not been required to enter hotel quarantine since November 1st.

Hazzard says this Omicron variant of the COVID virus is not well understood at this point, noting that it only took three weeks for the Delta variant to spread to 53 countries.

He says they have to expect that Omicron may already be in NSW.

NSW has so far recorded no cases of the Omicron variant in its genomic sequencing program.

The infections of two recent arrivals from southern Africa are currently being urgently sequenced after they tested positive last night. Hazzard says it was difficult to determine how many people arriving in Sydney had been in southern Africa, noting they had initially believed they would have one traveller who had recently been in the region through Sydney Airport last night but actually ended up with 14 on a Qatar Airways flight and 15 on an Emirates flight.

NSW Premier Dominic Perrottet has said it is “inevitable” new variants of COVID-19 will enter Australia, describing changes to rules for international arrivals yesterday as a “precautionary approach” in light of the new Omicron variant.

Perrottet says we need to learn to live alongside the virus and to live alongside the various strains of the virus that will come our way, and the best thing we can do is get vaccinated and get booster shots.

Hotel quarantine was re-introduced for people who had recently been in southern Africa yesterday, in response to the new Omicron variant of COVID-19, which the World Health Organisation declared a variant of concern on Friday.

Perrottet says a total of 29 people had arrived in Sydney after spending time in southern Africa yesterday.

Last night, NSW Health announced changes to its isolation requirements for international arrivals.

Anyone arriving at Sydney Airport from overseas must self-isolate at their home or other accommodation for 72 hours.

In addition, in line with federal measures, people been in South Africa, Lesotho, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Namibia, Eswatini, Malawi, or the Seychelles must enter two weeks hotel quarantine on arrival in Australia.

People who have already arrived in NSW will need to isolate for 14 days from their day of arrival at home.

Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison says the government will remain responsive to new evidence about the latest Omicron variant of COVID-19 and will take steps in line with the national plan.

Morrison expressed support for the 72-hour isolation period for those coming in from overseas as a “sensible and practical” step.

He says the new variant is concerning, though he says it was “not a surprise” during a pandemic.

He says Australia had managed to get through the Delta strain and achieve high vaccination rates.

FEATURE NEWS
FICAC grossly misusing it's powers against Charters - Fatiaki
Fijian national, Charlie Charters lawyer, Seforan Fatiaki has written a stern letter to FICAC today, saying FICAC is grossly misusing the powers given...
3 hours ago
LATEST NEWS
Modi calls for human-centric AI at Global Summit in New Delhi
Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi has called for Artificial Intelligence to remain human-centric and focused on global good while addressing world ...
4 hours ago

Over 51 pets desexed at Nadovu Park as animals Fiji and partners step up animal welfare efforts
Over 51 desexing surgeries were carried out yesterday at Nadovu Park in Lautoka with support from Animals Fiji, the Lautoka City Council, and the ...
4 hours ago

Teen dies from suspected Leptospirosis as Health Ministry urges caution
Members of the public are advised by the Ministry of Health and Medical Services to take immediate precautions against leptospirosis following a ...
6 hours ago

FMA raises serious concerns regarding Charters' arrest and Sports Council
The Fiji Media Association is deeply concerned with today’s developments involving Charlie Charters, who was earlier stopped at Nadi International ...
7 hours ago

Charters still in FICAC custody
There is still no official word from FICAC on why Fijian national, Charlie Charters has been takencustody.fijivillage News understands Charters will ...
7 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Charlie Charters held at Nadi Airport because of a FICAC flag on his file
Fijian national, Charlie Charters is being held at immigration at Nadi International Airport because of a FICAC flag on his file.fijivillage News has ...
7 hours ago

Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
16 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
16 days ago

TOP