Fijivillage
18 February, 2026, 9:53 pm
Central - 24°C Clouds
18 February, 2026, 9:53 pm Central - 24°C Clouds

Decision on Suva lockdown and school holidays will be based on ensuring the protection of all Fijians - Dr Waqainabete

Decision on Suva lockdown and school holidays will be based on ensuring the protection of all Fijians - Dr Waqainabete

By Vijay Narayan
15/04/2020
[Photo: Fiji Police Force]

The government is conducting it’s daily review on the control of the spread of COVID-19 before making the final decision on whether the Suva lockdown will be extended and whether school holidays will be further extended.

Health Minister, Doctor Ifereimi Waqainabete says all lives matter and the government will ensure they protect all Fijians when they make the decision.

Doctor Waqainabete says everyone needs to work hand in hand and every individual has to play their part. He says not practising social distancing or violating the Public Health Act does not help anyone.

Prime Minister Voreqe Bainimarama has already made it clear that the Suva lockdown which is scheduled to be lifted on Friday morning, can and will easily be extended if the government is not satisfied with the number of Fijians screened by the mobile health teams and fever clinics. Bainimarama says by tomorrow, they plan to screen over 150,000 people but to do so, people’s cooperation is key.

Bainimarama says in addition to the mobile screening teams, the fever clinics across the country have seen over 5,000 men, women and children come in to get a check-up.

The medical workers at the clinics will be able to tell you if you need further testing, whether that’s for COVID, or other viruses like the common cold, flu or dengue.

Bainimarama says globally, COVID-19 is one of the most devastating killers in generations, with deaths rising past 100,000.

He says to some people in Fiji, those tragedies may seem distant but they are not a world away.

Right here in the Pacific, COVID-19 has taken the lives of five people in Guam, nine in New Zealand, and 61 in Australia.

Bainimarama says if this virus spirals into an epidemic in Fiji, you or someone you love could all too easily be counted among the victims.

The Prime Minister says coronavirus comes with many unknowns but around the world, it is clear that physical distancing is the only strategy proven to beat COVID-19.

He says some countries thought they had the virus under control and went so far as to relax restrictions.

Sadly, they’ve seen case numbers flare back up.

Bainimarama says Fiji cannot risk those same mistakes.

He says Fiji acted early to squash the spread of the virus. Bainimarama says they shut our borders to high-risk countries, they closed nightclubs, gyms, swimming pools and banned contact sports.

He says the government has extended school holidays, a stay-at-home order is in place unless Fijians have life-sustaining reasons to travel and the nationwide curfew is in effect from 8pm to 5am.

He says day by day, these directives are helping win the war against this virus but any success in this campaign won’t mean a thing if the measures lift even one day too early.

Bainimarama says these rules certainly won’t count for anything if Fijians carelessly dismiss them.

He says these measures cannot relent and neither can our willingness to do the right thing.

He stresses to people not to go outside for no good reason, not to needlessly socialise, not to meet up for grog sessions and get a shock when you find yourself behind bars.

Bainimarama says use time at home with your families to think about what really matters –– care for our country and love for each other.

He says let us draw strength from that compassion; strength that can sustain us through the days, weeks and months it will take to overcome this challenge.

FEATURE NEWS
Bainimarama and Qiliho charged with inciting mutiny
Former Prime Minister, Voreqe Bainimarama and former Police Commissioner, Sitiveni Qiliho have been charged with inciting mutiny, and will spend the n...
3 hours ago
LATEST NEWS
Ramadan to start this Friday
The moon for Ramadan has not been sighted, and the Fiji Muslim League confirms fasting will now begin this Friday.Speaking to fijivillage News, Mufti ...
22 minutes ago

Six students questioned over Galoa bullying case
Six students have been questioned and released by police following an alleged bullying incident in Galoa Village, Serua. Police confirm that ...
3 hours ago

Waqanika and Bainivalu pleased with discussions; JSC to meet again on 25 March
Following a meeting with the Judicial Services Commission, chaired by Chief Justice Salesi Temo, the counsel of sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara ...
3 hours ago

Bainimarama and Qiliho charged with inciting mutiny
Bainimarama and Qiliho charged with inciting mutinyFormer Prime Minister, Voreqe Bainimarama and former Police Commissioner, Sitiveni Qiliho have ...
3 hours ago

Ash Wednesday marks a sacred call to spiritual renewal
As the sun shone over the Sacred Heart Cathedral Church, members joined fellow worshippers today to observe Ash Wednesday, marking the beginning of ...
3 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
12 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
12 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
13 days ago

TOP