Fijivillage
20 February, 2026, 12:39 am
Central - 23°C Clouds
20 February, 2026, 12:39 am Central - 23°C Clouds

Canadian PM Mark Carney apologises to Donald Trump over anti-tariff Reagan ad

Canadian PM Mark Carney apologises to Donald Trump over anti-tariff Reagan ad

By abc.net.au
04/11/2025

Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney says he has apologised to US President Donald Trump over an anti-tariff political advertisement that used a Ronald Reagan quote.

Mr Carney, speaking to reporters on Saturday after attending an Asia-Pacific summit in South Korea, said he had made the apology privately because Mr Trump was "offended".

"I did apologise to the president," he said.

The ad used a series of clips from former president Reagan's 1987 national radio address, in which he argued that tariffs cause trade wars and economic disaster.

Mr Trump said the ad was fraudulent and misrepresented the position of Reagan, a two-term president and a beloved figure in the Republican Party.

But Reagan was wary of tariffs and used much of the 1987 address featured in Ontario's ad spelling out the case against them, saying tariffs work "only for a short time" and "hurt every American worker and consumer".

"High tariffs inevitably lead to retaliation by foreign countries and the triggering of fierce trade wars," Reagan said, as quoted by the ad.

Mr Carney said the ad, which was funded by the province of Ontario, was "not something I would have done".

He said that Ontario Premier Doug Ford, who commissioned the ad, had shown the clip to him beforehand but the PM advised him not to go forward with it.

"I'm the one who is responsible, in my role as prime minister, for the relationship with the president of the US, and the federal government is responsible for the foreign relationship with the US government," Mr Carney said.

The ad aired during the first two baseball World Series games.

In response to the ad last week, Mr Trump suspended trade talks with Canada and said he would impose an additional 10 per cent tariff on Canadian imports.

He also accused Canada of using the ad to influence the US Supreme Court ahead of arguments scheduled this month that could decide whether Mr Trump has the power to impose his sweeping tariffs.

"TARIFFS ARE VERY IMPORTANT TO THE NATIONAL SECURITY, AND ECONOMY, OF THE U.S.A. Based on their egregious behavior, ALL TRADE NEGOTIATIONS WITH CANADA ARE HEREBY TERMINATED," he said in a post on Truth Social.

Canada's economy has been hit hard by Mr Trump's tariffs, and Mr Carney has been trying to work with Mr Trump to lower them.

More than three-quarters of Canadian exports go to the US, and nearly $3.6 billion Canadian ($3.9 billion) worth of goods and services cross the border daily.

Formal talks with China prove beneficial Mr Carney said his talks with Chinese President Xi Jinping on Friday were a turning point in relations after years of tensions.

The last formal meeting between the leaders of Canada and China happened in 2017 when then-prime minister Justin Trudeau had a brief exchange with Mr Xi at a meeting in San Francisco.

In recent years, Canadian citizens were detained and executed in China, and Canada's security authorities concluded that China interfered in at least two federal elections.

Mr Carney said he had discussed foreign interference with Mr Xi, among other issues.

The trip to Asia had been part of efforts to reduce Canada's reliance on the US.

"It can't happen overnight, but we're moving very fast," he said.

Original Story Link: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2025-11-02/carney-apologises-to-trump-over-reagan-tariff-advertisement/105962422?utm_campaign=abc_news_web&utm_content=link&utm_medium=content_shared&utm_source=abc_news_web

FEATURE NEWS
EXCLUSIVE : I go to the FICAC office after hours to support my wife - Vakalalabure
Tevita Vakalalabure, lawyer and husband of Acting FICAC Commissioner, Lavi Rokoika, has today confirmed that he goes to his wife's FICAC office when s...
8 hours ago
LATEST NEWS
Fiji Airways says sexual harassment clause in Employment Bill sets ‘impossible legal standard'
Fiji Airways has warned that the Employment Relations Bill’s requirement for employers to eliminate sexual harassment imposes an unrealistic and ...
8 hours ago

5 out of 7 people charged in Rewa Street and Flagstaff drug bust case plead not guilty
The Chinese, Federated States of Micronesia, and Fijian nationals charged in three separate Rewa Street and Flagstaff drug bust cases took their ...
9 hours ago

Semo bypass to open from midnight tonight
The bypass along the Queen's Highway at Semo Village will be open to the travelling public from midnight tonight.The Fiji Roads Authority (FRA) says ...
10 hours ago

$2.5B Emerald Bay Project advances with 184 residential lots
The $2.5 billion Emerald Bay Development in Nadawa is progressing well with the development of 184 residential lots as part of its first phase, ...
10 hours ago

Lautoka Central Head Boy advocating for drug-free and responsible living
Lautoka Central College Head Boy, Deevansh Singh is urging students to stay away from drugs and take greater responsibility in protecting the ...
10 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
13 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
14 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
14 days ago

TOP