Fijivillage
20 February, 2026, 7:31 am
Central - 25°C Clouds
20 February, 2026, 7:31 am Central - 25°C Clouds

Bishop Mar Mari Emmanuel delivers first mass since alleged stabbing at Sydney church

Bishop Mar Mari Emmanuel delivers first mass since alleged stabbing at Sydney church

By abc.net.au
29/04/2024
Bishop Mar Mari Emmanuel was allegedly stabbed on Monday, April 15, while delivering a mass at a church in Wakeley.(ABC News)

A bishop who was stabbed during a mass in Sydney's south-west has returned to the same church and given his first sermon since the alleged terror incident.

A fortnight ago, Bishop Mar Mari Emmanuel was allegedly attacked with a knife by a 16-year-old boy during the Monday service being live streamed from the Christ The Good Shepherd Church at Wakeley.

Following the incident hundreds of people rioted outside the church which saw dozens of police officers injured and vehicles damaged.

The teenager has since been charged with a terrorism offence and remains in custody.

On Sunday night, Bishop Emmanuel addressed those who attended the Assyrian Orthodox Palm Sunday mass wearing an eye-patch, after recovering in hospital from several stab wounds.

In the sermon, which was also live streamed, Bishop Emmanuel spent several minutes thanking worshippers, mayors, church leaders and even a Croatian opera singer who sent him letters and flowers saying he was "absolutely humbled".

He also said he was praying for his alleged attacker.

"This young man who did this act almost two weeks ago, I say to you my dear, 'You are my son, and you will always be my son'," the bishop said.

Later in the 52-minute sermon, he addressed the Australian government and Prime Minister Anthony Albanese.

He went on to speak about the importance of free speech.

"Every human being has the right to their freedom of speech and freedom of religion," he said.

"For us to say that free speech is dangerous, that free speech cannot be possible in a democratic country, I'm yet to fathom this."

Last week the Federal Court heard a dispute between the eSafety Commissioner Julie Inman Grant and social media platform X over an order for X to take down a few dozen instances of the footage.

Lawyers for the social media platform argued the order was an overreach and told the court they had an affidavit from Bishop Emmanuel saying he wanted the footage to remain online.

The ABC has not seen the affidavit.

"For us to say that because of this freedom of speech it is causing dramas and dilemmas therefore everything should be censored then where is democracy, where is humanity, where is integrity?," Bishop Emmanuel said.

Iraq-born Assyrian Bishop Emmanuel said he migrated to Australia in 1985 and that while he may not look it he is a "proud Aussie".

"I will put the prawns on the barbie with Mr Albanese and with Mr Peter Dutton anytime of the day and I'll say to them 'G-day mate'," he said in closing.

"This is home".

To date, 10 men have been charged over the riot and six teenagers have been charged in raids after a counter terrorism investigation was launched after the stabbing.

Original Story : https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-04-28/bishop-mar-mari-emmanuel-returns-sydney-church-stabbing/103778174
Story by :
 Xanthe Gregory

FEATURE NEWS
EXCLUSIVE : I go to the FICAC office after hours to support my wife - Vakalalabure
Tevita Vakalalabure, lawyer and husband of Acting FICAC Commissioner, Lavi Rokoika, has today confirmed that he goes to his wife's FICAC office when s...
14 hours ago
LATEST NEWS
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has been arrested at his eastern England home.The UK's Telegraph newspaper says British police had arrived at the ...
56 minutes ago

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has been arrested at his eastern England home.The UK's Telegraph newspaper says British police had arrived at the ...
1 hour ago

Fiji Airways says sexual harassment clause in Employment Bill sets ‘impossible legal standard'
Fiji Airways has warned that the Employment Relations Bill’s requirement for employers to eliminate sexual harassment imposes an unrealistic and ...
14 hours ago

5 out of 7 people charged in Rewa Street and Flagstaff drug bust case plead not guilty
The Chinese, Federated States of Micronesia, and Fijian nationals charged in three separate Rewa Street and Flagstaff drug bust cases took their ...
16 hours ago

Semo bypass to open from midnight tonight
The bypass along the Queen's Highway at Semo Village will be open to the travelling public from midnight tonight.The Fiji Roads Authority (FRA) says ...
16 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
14 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
14 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
15 days ago

TOP