Fijivillage
21 February, 2026, 2:33 am
Central - 23°C Clouds
21 February, 2026, 2:33 am Central - 23°C Clouds

Beijing confirms Chinese balloon 'accidentally entered Latin American and Caribbean airspace'

Beijing confirms Chinese balloon 'accidentally entered Latin American and Caribbean airspace'

By abc.net.au
07/02/2023
Foreign Ministry spokesperson Mao Ning says it "accidentally entered Latin American and Caribbean airspace".(AFP: The Yomiuri Shimbun/Ichiro Ohara)

Beijing's foreign ministry has confirmed that a balloon flying over Latin America is Chinese, after a similar device was shot down by the United States over the weekend.

The Pentagon said on Friday that a second suspected Chinese spy balloon had been seen across Latin America.

Colombia's air force then reported an object with "characteristics similar to those of a balloon" had been detected and "monitored until it left the national air space".

The air force said it was conducting investigations in coordination with other countries and institutions "to establish the origins of the object".

Beijing's foreign ministry on Monday said the object was "from China" and that it was of "a civilian nature and used for flight tests".

"Affected by weather forces in addition to its maneuverability being limited, the airship deviated greatly from its expected course, and accidentally entered Latin American and Caribbean airspace," spokesperson Mao Ning told a press briefing.

"China is a responsible country and has always strictly abided by international law," she added.

"We have communicated with the relevant parties and are handling appropriately, and will not cause any threat to any country."

The detection of the other balloon over the United States prompted the cancellation of a planned China visit by US Secretary of State Antony Blinken, who had been due to arrive in Beijing on Sunday.

China voiced anger on Sunday at the shooting down of the balloon, which it insists was an unmanned weather surveillance aircraft that had veered off course.

Shock to American psyche

Accidental or not, these balloons certainly have had an impact on the American psyche, according to Gordon Flake, CEO of the Perth USAsia Centre.

Speaking on Monday night's edition of The Drum, Mr Flake said: "Unlike most countries, America has for 200 years had a very strong sense of territorial integrity.

"Other than a Japanese submarine off the coast of California in World War II, and potentially the Cuban missile crisis, the American mainland has never been under threat, so this was a real shock to the American psyche.

"It's akin to that of Sputnik. The fact that there was a balloon that you could see from your house or office window and know it was Chinese. Yeah, it is quite a shock.

"And the result is there are those on one extreme who are trying to use this politically as an attack on the United States, and others who see it rather benignly as the old grandpa from Up, floating about in this old century technology. But the truth is predictably somewhere in the middle," he said.

Story by ABC/Wires

Original story link; https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-06/beijing-confirms-balloon-flying-over-latin-america-is-chinese/101937968?fbclid=IwAR3Nw2KDIyPRXt1YkAhCNO6jbh3b-Faxl0X4BVqRd_gNgPDbS8DmKmHKoAQ

FEATURE NEWS
Drua suffer second bonus point defeat in Sydney
The Swire Shipping Fijian Drua suffered their second bonus-point defeat of the season, going down 36–13 to the Waratahs tonight. The Drua display...
6 hours ago
LATEST NEWS
PM confirms independent investigations into allegations against Saukuru and Gilbert Vakalalabure
Prime Minister, Sitiveni Rabuka confirms that he met Minister for Youth and Sports, Jese Saukuru, and informed him that an independent investigation ...
6 hours ago

Rabuka to meet Sports Minister over Fiji Sports Council concerns
Prime Minister Sitiveni Rabuka confirms he will meet Sports Minister Jese Saukuru today in relation to the Fiji Sports Council issues. The issues ...
7 hours ago

Electricity restored in Central and Western divisions after 132kV circuit fault
Electricity has been fully restored across the Central and Western Divisions following a fault on the 132kV Wailoa–Cunningham Circuit.Energy Fiji ...
9 hours ago

Police yet to respond if they will appeal Vakarisi's suspended sentence
Police are yet to confirm whether they will appeal Jone Vakarisi's three months sentence, suspended for two years.Vakarisi was earlier found guilty ...
9 hours ago

Severe Thunderstorm Warning in force for parts of Viti Levu
A Severe Thunderstorm Warning for Heavy Rain is now in force for the northeastern and interior parts of Viti Levu from Ba through Rakiraki to ...
11 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
15 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
15 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
16 days ago

TOP