Fijivillage
20 February, 2026, 9:39 pm
Central - 24°C Rain
20 February, 2026, 9:39 pm Central - 24°C Rain

Barge owner reveals details on how Heritage hired his barge for the December 2023 meth pick up

Barge owner reveals details on how Heritage hired his barge for the December 2023 meth pick up

By Vijay Narayan
04/08/2025
David Heritage. [Image taken by Timoci Dawai]

One of the 9 convicted persons in the $2 billion methamphetamine trial, David Heritage had approached David Wright, a person who runs a barge business in Vuda as he wanted to charter Wright’s barge in December 2023.

This barge was later used by Heritage to pick up the 4.5 tonnes of methamphetamine from an unflagged superyacht.

According to the court evidence, prosecution witness Wright said that the stated purpose given to him by Heritage was to deliver some food and fuel to a yacht in the Yasawas.

While giving evidence in the High Court, Wright confirmed he owns the barge called 'Mobby II'.

He said that he had agreed and gave the barge with his crew, headed by Ratu Isoa Dina

Heritage paid $3,000 in cash and requested that the food and fuel be delivered to the yacht before sunrise.

Wright said he arranged his crew to leave before midnight on 21st December 2023.

They embarked on the journey and returned to Vuda Marina on the 22nd with the same load of diesel and bags.

He said Heritage then explained that he had been given the wrong coordinates and wanted Wright’s barge to be chartered again, for which he was paid an additional $3,000.

After the barge left Vuda on the second charter, Wright said he was worried because it could not be contacted for some time. Eventually, he received a call from Heritage seeking permission to stay the night at Malolo Island and return to Vuda the next morning.

Wright said upon his return to Vuda, Heritage contacted him again to organise another charter, saying they needed to take some rubbish off the same yacht.

Wright said that he arranged the third charter upon the transfer of $3,000 to his account.

The 9 accused persons charged in relation to the 4.1 plus tonnes of methamphetamine bust in Nadi have been found guilty by the Lautoka High Court, and their sentence hearing will take place on Friday.

Justin Ho, David Heritage, Louie Logaivau, Jale Aukerea, Sakiusa Tuva, Ratu Aporosa Davelevu, Ratu Osea Levula, Cathy Tuirabe and Viliame Colawaliku were charged with the importation and possession of 4.1 plus tonnes of methamphetamine between November 2023 and January 2024 in Nadi.

An indepth look into the 4.5 tonnes drug bust in Nadi

FEATURE NEWS
UPDATES: Fijian Drua vs Waratahs
1st minute kick off first scrum to Drua 3rd minute Drua attacking for one minute now finishing 12 phases 4th minute Drua kicks for touch Tahs ...
1 hour ago
LATEST NEWS
PM confirms independent investigations into allegations against Saukuru and Gilbert Vakalalabure
Prime Minister, Sitiveni Rabuka confirms that he met Minister for Youth and Sports, Jese Saukuru, and informed him that an independent investigation ...
1 hour ago

Rabuka to meet Sports Minister over Fiji Sports Council concerns
Prime Minister Sitiveni Rabuka confirms he will meet Sports Minister Jese Saukuru today in relation to the Fiji Sports Council issues. The issues ...
2 hours ago

Electricity restored in Central and Western divisions after 132kV circuit fault
Electricity has been fully restored across the Central and Western Divisions following a fault on the 132kV Wailoa–Cunningham Circuit.Energy Fiji ...
5 hours ago

Police yet to respond if they will appeal Vakarisi's suspended sentence
Police are yet to confirm whether they will appeal Jone Vakarisi's three months sentence, suspended for two years.Vakarisi was earlier found guilty ...
5 hours ago

Severe Thunderstorm Warning in force for parts of Viti Levu
A Severe Thunderstorm Warning for Heavy Rain is now in force for the northeastern and interior parts of Viti Levu from Ba through Rakiraki to ...
6 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
14 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
14 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
15 days ago

TOP