Fijivillage
20 February, 2026, 5:46 am
Central - 23°C Clouds
20 February, 2026, 5:46 am Central - 23°C Clouds

Authorities investigate fuel drum found in Suva Harbour as potential spill source

Authorities investigate fuel drum found in Suva Harbour as potential spill source

By Monishka Pratap , Vijay Narayan
15/02/2025
Photo:File

The fuel spill on Wednesday was likely caused by a red 44-gallon fuel drum branded ‘Total,’ which was found filled with seawater near Salia Reef. It is possible that this drum fell from a moving vessel, though this has not yet been confirmed.

This was confirmed to fijivillage News by the Permanent Secretary for Environment, Dr. Sivendra Michael, after we reached out regarding concerns raised by Suva Stand-up Paddlers representative and General Secretary of the Pacific Council of Churches, Reverend James Bhagwan, who posted a video highlighting the spill and calling for urgent action to protect the ocean.

Reverend Bhagwan described paddling through the fuel early Wednesday morning and even spotting a young turtle in the affected area.

Dr. Michael says after being alerted through social media on Wednesday, an inspection team was deployed at 8.30am.

He says the joint task force, which included inspectors from the Department of Environment, Maritime Safety Authority of Fiji and Fiji Ports Limited, conducted both land-based and inshore assessments.

The Permanent Secretary says the land-based verification was carried out along the Nasese foreshore, from the Veiuto Roundabout to the China Club, but, no evidence suggested the pollutant came from this coastal land area.

He says although the fuel had dissipated due to wave action and evaporation, a strong smell remained.

He adds that the task force was equipped with a specialized biodegradable chemical (sea cleaner) to neutralize the impact of the fuel spill, but this treatment was not applied because the fuel had already dissipated.

He says the Ministry is now requesting public assistance in identifying the source of the fuel drum and is considering increasing harbor patrols to prevent similar incidents.

Anyone with information or who witnesses pollution is urged to contact the Ministry’s Waste Pollution Control Unit at 9984145/3311699.

Stay with us for further updates.

FEATURE NEWS
EXCLUSIVE : I go to the FICAC office after hours to support my wife - Vakalalabure
Tevita Vakalalabure, lawyer and husband of Acting FICAC Commissioner, Lavi Rokoika, has today confirmed that he goes to his wife's FICAC office when s...
13 hours ago
LATEST NEWS
Fiji Airways says sexual harassment clause in Employment Bill sets ‘impossible legal standard'
Fiji Airways has warned that the Employment Relations Bill’s requirement for employers to eliminate sexual harassment imposes an unrealistic and ...
13 hours ago

5 out of 7 people charged in Rewa Street and Flagstaff drug bust case plead not guilty
The Chinese, Federated States of Micronesia, and Fijian nationals charged in three separate Rewa Street and Flagstaff drug bust cases took their ...
14 hours ago

Semo bypass to open from midnight tonight
The bypass along the Queen's Highway at Semo Village will be open to the travelling public from midnight tonight.The Fiji Roads Authority (FRA) says ...
15 hours ago

$2.5B Emerald Bay Project advances with 184 residential lots
The $2.5 billion Emerald Bay Development in Nadawa is progressing well with the development of 184 residential lots as part of its first phase, ...
15 hours ago

Lautoka Central Head Boy advocating for drug-free and responsible living
Lautoka Central College Head Boy, Deevansh Singh is urging students to stay away from drugs and take greater responsibility in protecting the ...
15 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
14 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
14 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
15 days ago

TOP